Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By 7mmsaum
  • 1 Post By JLF
  • 1 Post By grandpamac
  • 1 Post By thatguy
  • 2 Post By Intrepid

Thread: Reloading

Reloading

Would anyone in the auckland region be doing any reloading some time in the near future? Looking at getting into reloading and would like to watch/learn the basics. A few good buggers on here have sent me books ect which I've been reading, pretty keen to learn the basics as in pretty keem on reloading some sub sonics for my 708, all the best cheers chris

Caretaker
    If you ever find yourself in Hawkes Bay I can show you everything you need to know

Send a PM closer to the time
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Thanks for that mate ill give you a yell if I'm ever heading down your way, I need a guru to tuck me under his wing and show me the ropes haha

Highly recommend, I didn't have anyone but I reckon it would have been great and would have saved me time and money to have a mentor. Someone was selling a sweet reloading setup just the other day at a fair price if I recall

JLF
    Copy and paste everything in quotes and find it:
    "ABCs of Reloading : The Definitive Guide for Novice to Expert ...https://www.indiebos.com › The ABCs of Reloading ".
    And you will have the 9th edition of ABC recharge
    Andygr likes this.
    There is still gunpowder left, the Grim Reaper can wait.

Greetings Countryside,
    Welcome to the vast array of handloaders. Rather than just watch someone handloading it is better to have a mentor watch you handloading and explain the steps along the way. If you don't belong to a hunting club go along to your local NZDA branch and join up. There will be someone there with the knowledge and the time (often they will have grey hair and not much of it either) to mentor you as you are stating out. I qualify on most of the above but you need someone local. Next buy yourself a loading manual. You can get these in hard copy and digital format and they have a section on all the steps you need to go through. Utube has some good stuff, some average and some downright shite so I would steer clear of anything not put out by the handloading equipment manufacturers. A mentor will be able to sift out the must haves from the nice to have and probably would hardly ever use kit.
    For a start I would stick to the hunting ammo. There is plenty of data for this, all pressure tested. I have loaded for a couple of 7mm-08 rifles and found that AR2208 or IMR4064 are good options for projectiles in the 120 to 150 grain range. Getting primers, projectile and powder is difficult at the moment but should improve. I would leave the subsonic loads until you have well mastered the basics. This is a whole seperate rabbit warren. A quick check turned up sub loads for the .308W using projectiles that we likely can't at the moment. Your best option here is probably cast lead, another warren in itself.
    Take it slowly making sure you understand the why as well as the how and with the help of a mentor you will be fine. Handloading is an enjoyable and rewarding pastime that never stops giving. Happy to answer questions.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Borris likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JLF View Post
    Copy and paste everything in quotes and find it:
    "ABCs of Reloading : The Definitive Guide for Novice to Expert ...https://www.indiebos.com › The ABCs of Reloading ".
    And you will have the 9th edition of ABC recharge
    Just stumbled onto your post and downloaded the document. Thanks for posting, it looks very useful.
    If you have a garden and a library, you have all you need. Oh, and a dog, and a rifle

Happy to help. You have my mobile number in your PMs
    veitnamcam likes this.

Also happy to pass on what others have shown me. PM sent
    veitnamcam and Borris like this.