Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Reloading for a Brno Fox .222

Reloading for a Brno Fox .222

Morning all,

First off, I did try putting in .222 into the search function but came up with nothing. I would have thought there would be something in here for the .222...

I have a pretty mint Brno Fox in .222. Now when I got the rifle I was given a whole lot of handloaded ammunition of different sorts to use. Now all this has about gone. I also have a hundred so cases and some dies. I know you can get pretty cheap .222 ammo locally here at belmont but I thought I should have a go and load some up myself.

I only use this rifle for Fallow deer, no rabbits or varmints. So does anyone have any projectiles/loads that work well for them in their .222's that I could start with?

cheers.
    Scott

Caretaker
    50 g Sierra game king
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Bos
    50 Gr Hornady Soft point with 20Gr 2207 out of my Vixen will shoot clover leaf groups fairly consistently. Interestingly, group size doesnt change if I load up some 50Gr V-Max

Hornady's ELD-M's are popular in the larger calibres...Has anyone tried them in a .222??

When I first started meat hunting I used Sierra 52 grn match hollow point. Great cheap little bullet that behave a bit like the Barnes do.
    Kudu likes this.

Bos
    Ive tried 55 gr Barnes and other 55 gr projectiles but in typical fashion, the older rifles with their twist rates seem to like the 50 grainers more so than anything heavier. Like Tahr, I used to load 52 gr Sierra hollow points which also shot pretty well from what I remember

I found the same thing in my Sako .222 where i didn't like the 55 gr variety. Ended up shooting 50 gr Hornady fine but only shot two deer with it. Powder... i use BM2 as that worked better in my rifle than AR2206H

As Tahr stated... go with the 52 Sierras
    Kudu likes this.

52grn speer HP and the 50 grn hp will do the job nicely in your fox......if its anything like the one I used years back...that popped up on here forsale...it wont be fussy.
    Kudu likes this.

Now load 3 Vixens using 60gr Hornady. They love a heavy pill.
    Roarless20 likes this.

Hey mate.
    As mentioned before the old man uses the Hornady 55gr SP over 21gr(i think) 2207. More than 100 deer shot with this load, mostly top of neck/headshots or behind the shoulder. (Fallow(mostly), sika, reds and even a sambar(not recommending that though)). Also shot foxes and grey Roos.
    Hornady 55gr SP hold together better than 50gr HP and SP at .222 velocities(pretty slow compared to .223).
    Never tried any new pills.

Sounds like there are a few powder options to try as well (Dammit!) with 2207, 2206 and BM2 mentioned.

A mate swears by AR2208 in his .222/.223’s

CFE223 might also be worth a look aswell

50gn Hornady SP and BM2
    chainsaw and Mathias like this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Quote Originally Posted by Kudu View Post
    Sounds like there are a few powder options to try as well (Dammit!) with 2207, 2206 and BM2 mentioned.
    Iv got 2206h and 2208 on hand locally if you dont have any and just want to trial some loads
    Kudu likes this.

I agree with Roarless20's old mans recipe.My vixen prefers that brew, but seems like other vixens out there run better with 50grn.All my kills on Reds