Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By kiwi303
  • 1 Post By Allgood
  • 1 Post By Magnetite
  • 1 Post By kiwi303

Thread: Reloading and humidity

Reloading and humidity

Hello all,

I was pretty shocked by what this video found with humidity effects https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzDHRwi3QVk

I was wondering if any of you and conscious of humidity in reloading, and do you do anything to help control it?

It's made me seriously consider taking my set up inside away from the garage though.

cheers
    rupert likes this.

Will watch the clip when I get home but I have my gear in a locked and heated room in the shed and do all the laodingbin there and take them to the work bench to seat projectiles.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi303 View Post

I was wondering if any of you and conscious of humidity in reloading, and do you do anything to help control it?

cheers
    Considering that a humans exhaled breath is at a level of around 100% humidity, I guess I will have to hold my breath while reloading cartridges.........
    Cordite likes this.

I saw it a while ago and got paranoid . Now all my powder lives in a sealed container with a desiccant (moisture removal egg). Primers too, in a separate location.
    kiwi303 likes this.

I think Ill resort to doing the same. will store in a sealed container with a desiccant.

I have heard of bench rest guys using a controlled room, opening the powder they are going to be using and letting that adjust for 24hr before reloading. now that's next level
    dirkvanvuuren likes this.

The only problem with this is when you take the powder out to start reloading your 1st charge vs the 200th charge will have different exposure times and your charges won't be consistent throughout the reloaded batch. I don't have a fancy room where I can regulate all of the conditions, but I have a humidity/temp meter and try to stay within a humidity & Temp bracket when reloading (also write down the conditions at reloading time) as well as leaving my powder in the hopper to acclimate to the conditions for some time before reloading so I don't have a powder that has variance within the batch. Yes this will have some variance from batch to batch but if I reload 200 and run 10 rnds over the chrony after every new reloaded batch I at least know the batch speed. When doing this test Also take randomly from the reloaded box so you can double check if there's variance between the 1st, 50th, 200th rnd in terms of speed. Just my process