Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Reloading Manuals...

Reloading Manuals...

Ok, now I've got the basics, it'd probably be worth getting a manual or two...

ADI would make sense I figure - $9.95 and $28.10 shipping. Someone should tell them about the internet, and pdf's and stuff.

What should I get first (and then second, third etc...)?

Anyone tried these? https://www.amazon.com/Book-Caliber-.../dp/B000VK1QDO

find OLD Nosler manual....Ive got 2nd and third editions.......Nick Harvey early manuals
    now you DONT WANT THESE FOR LOAD DATA.....sure you can use it for double checking etc you want it for the whole front section..the HOW TO AND WHY TO do stuff.... data is online from winchester ,adi,hogdgon,and many others...I ALWAYS check any load from 3 sources.....
    hamsav, mimms2 and Ned like this.

Gone but not forgotten
    ADI data is on their website
    ebf, northdude and Pav like this.

If you only reload for a few calibers it might be worth considering the Hornady reloading app. You can purchase the load data for the ones you want at about $2-3 each IIRC. Screenshot the loads you want, print em off if you want a hard copy.

you can get that FOR FREE....off website,screen shot and print....

northdude
    I have the adi one the lee one and the hodgdon one
    Micky Duck likes this.

The Lee book is good, print the ADI powder equivalent tables off from their site and keep with your Lee and other American books. ADI supplies several powders to the US which get rebranded but, barring batch differences, are close enough for load data to be common. Ones they give as equivalent that they do not make you need to be more careful and pay good attention to the manufacturer's load data. Don't think to just substitute one powder's data for another. Finally, be very wary of load data from any forum including this one. Triangulate and compare as much as possible. Until you get plenty of experience, manufacturer's data is all you can really trust. Either powder or bullet manufacturers.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Old manuals from the 60s and 70s are a treasure trove of infomation on all aspects of reloading and troubleshooting techniques and I would highly recommend owning several. The principle of reloading hasn't changed in that time and they went to great lengths to detail the process involved, great for learners.
    Micky Duck, Jhon and davetapson like this.

Bos
    Yip, absolutely
    Ive got 4 or 5 old manuals, and a few months back bought a new Hornady manual. Apart from a few new loads and calibres, all of the "how to" info is pretty much a reprint.
    In hindsight, the old manuals for info purposes if you can find them, and a website search/screenshot for up to date loads is the way to go
    Jhon and Steelisreal like this.

Lyman 50th is the best all rounder I reckon. It's largely brand agnostic.

The most important bit, if you don't have a mentor (and even then if they're just going to teach you their bad habits), is the first section which covers reloading methodology before you even get into the data.

As for the data, you can get it online for free. Collect and cross reference plenty of sources. I keep a bunch here.
    Steelisreal and davetapson like this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Ok, got Nick Harvey.

Now to track down a Lee manual.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hamsav View Post
    It is beneficial to check load data from several different authors , it is also beneficial to read and compare loading methods from several sources too. Often you can see different authors emphasise different parts of the process more than others and combining info can help you find your way of doing stuff .
    Nick Harvey is a good read , but some of his loads may seem a bit hot compared to American authors , maybe he aint as afraid of getting his arse sued off as the Americans. I was dissapointed with the last Nick Harvey manual , got it for 204ruger data and there was a typo that sorta corrupted the whole section for me ....sold the gun anyhow ( remmington XR 100)
    I have I think the first addition Nick Harvey. It came with little bits of paper glued over various loads correcting them. Inspired confidence in his data no end. I'd say 99% of the loads listed are plagarised ie never tested by HN. A compilation of others' data.

The main value of his book for a beginner is the "how to" sections.

NH has also well gone from publishing the manual.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Bos
    ........... and if you can't or don't read, just watch You Tube
    zimmer likes this.

yes...indeed,as I said in my earlier post...the main value is the how to and why sections....and triple check data..... three separate sources of information.
    one classic is the load data for 270 differs from what he has written in text....to be sure the text is talking about worked up loads but Ive always found that bit interesting...speer 170grn round nose is mentioned in text specifically .