Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Reloading - minimalist kit

Reloading - minimalist kit

So, I've set up a reloading, uh, set up.

This is what I got as an alternative to buying a kit - I list this here as it is a list I'd like to have found when trying to figure this out.

Note, I'm a noob, not claiming any expertise, but this gets me from components to made ammo.

Press
    Dies
    Hornady electronic scale
    Lee case conditioning kit (primer pocket cleaner, chamfer tool, case trimmer basics) plus case trimmer gauge for calibre
    Funnel
    Loading Tray (can diy)
    Lee scoops (not completely necessary if you buy Lee dies with scoop)

Consumables:
    Lube
    Graphite powder plus shot for neck sizing
    Chux cloths / Scotch bright for cleaning cases
    Norton size 0 grit pad for finishing case mouths

Vernier caliper I had already.

My Z$0.02.

I may have forgotten something - it will get pointed out soon enough!

Plus I got a Chrono, but that's another story.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

swap electronic for balance beam and thats pretty much what Ive used for 30 years
    ebf, Marty Henry, Cordite and 1 others like this.

That scale may well drive you nuts. Balance beam would probably be better.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    nevereadyfreddy and janleroux like this.
    Ubique.
    Once divided, always conquered.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    swap electronic for balance beam and thats pretty much what Ive used for 30 years
    Yeah, that was a toss up. Esp. as there is a Dillon going for not much on here a week or so ago.

I would add a trickler
    Priming tool.(but you can seat the primers using the press)

Just some advice: buy the press last. Buy everything else as planned and budgeted for.

To many new reloaders start by buying the press....and as soon as they've got the press they want to start reloading.
    Micky Duck and davetapson like this.

+1 for balance beam..check out Gunblue490 YouTube vids for excellent explanation of why balance beam over electronic. The biggest thing to look for on balance beams IMO is good magnetic dampening. Lee Perfect scales are cheap and accurate but take forever to settle. Dillon scales are more expensive but settle real quick.

Very good advice on the beam scales

Oh, and maybe I should mention the next thing on the list...

Bullet puller. Maybe this is the first thing you should buy.
    jakewire and Cordite like this.

Ive only recently got a trickler...for years Ive used the side of teaspoon held over pan and tapped thumb knuckle of holding hand with other hand..it works in similar fashion and dead easy for a half dozen rounds...trickler was indeed a eye opener...definately great for lots of loads,use LEE spoons to grn or so under and trickle up to weight.
    use lee auto prime and reckon its pretty darn good bit of kit...
    Cordite and davetapson like this.

If you plan on doing more than a few a powder measure will soon engage your attention. The Lee powder measures would have to be both the cheapest, the Lee Perfect, and at least equal to anything else out there.

I have tried two of the legendary Lyman #55, which retail here for over $250 last time I looked, a Hornady Pacific, the Lee Press mounted disc systems, the Lee Perfect and the Lee Perfect Deluxe. Also have 3 Dillon systems on 550B presses for Pistol powders. I have not tried the RCBS which has an excellent rep or the new Hornady Lock n Load. Both are megabucks.

The little plasticky Lee Perfect on its cheap arse stand or fitted to a powder die on a press is simply amazing in its accuracy across a wide range of powders from ball, to stick to donut. I use them all. I spoiled myself and splashed out for the Lee Deluxe Perfect which is no less accurate but not more but is with its metal casting a little nicer to use. And love the heavy stand. Then, recently, I bought the equivalent latest Lee measure intended to go on a die on a press and be auto activated by shell rising into it. Just as accurate as my Dillons and 1/3rd the cost. I have old Lee disc measures adapted to my Dillon presses for dedicated loading of pet loads. Very accurate, very consistent. Around $50 a pop. Lee powder measures are one of the few exceptions to the rule " you get what you pay for"
    Cordite and davetapson like this.

the LEE spoon set was one of my last purchases...and wish Id done it sooner.....really AWESOME for trailboss loads,cause you loading by volume not weight to begin with.....
    Cordite likes this.

ebf
    +1 for a beam scale. Build a little bench for it so that it is a eye level height.

Bullet puller is a very good suggestion.

Also, get some comparator inserts for the vernier caliper to measure seating depth on the ogive rather than overall length. Much better way of doing things.
    Cordite likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

The Hornady collet bullet puller is the current bees knees..the RCBS one is the old industry standard but pretty expensive other than one comes up on TM now and again. Both are Press mounted. Irrespective of having one of those you can get by just with a kinetic puller. And if you do cast, Kinetic is the only thing that will pull them.

you CAN pull projectile with pair of vice grips if YOU ARE CAREFUL you wont damage projectiles at all...put in shell holder and lift ram so projectile sticks out top of press frame,gently grip projectile with vice grips level with press/flat then lift press handle which drops case down leaving projectile held in vice grips.Ive donte this many times and damage slightly about 1 in 20...have kinetic puller now...using the lee shell holders in kenetic puller sure is faster than proper ones provided.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    using the lee shell holders in kenetic puller sure is faster than proper ones provided.
    Now that's something I'm gonna try, thks!
    Smallfoot likes this.