Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Reloading novice

Reloading novice

Hey team,

Abit of a long shot, is there anyone rotorua based that would have the time, for me to come and spend some time watching them reloading? I wouldn't mind getting into it, but want to do it the right way and safely.
    I have a 308 and 223. The 308 I'm wanting to stretch it out abit more if possible, it's currently 18" and dpt suppressor. Realistically in your guys experience, would the max distance you would achieve.

Cheers Bevan
    CBH Australia likes this.

Highly recommend you get yourself a reloading manual. Having a mentor is great and they can answer questions and explain things to you in as many ways as needed to help you understand some of the concepts. But much like learning to drive, you can pick up your instructors bad habits too. The Lyman manual is excellent.

You can shoot an 18" 308 out as far as you are able to account for drop and wind drift. That could be anywhere from 400m to 1400m really, depending on your optics, bullet selection, and how well your hand loads work out.
    veitnamcam, CBH Australia and JLF like this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

1400m is highly optimistic for an 18" .308. You'll be working V hard to stay supersonic even to 1000yds, impossible at 1400m.
    zimmer and Cyclops like this.

YouTube has some good material. The first cartridge I reloaded for was 577/450 (martini Henry) with black powder. Not an easy task. And I learnt to do so from YouTube and asking some antique arms guys some refinement question.

Obviously always follow recommended load data which is free online (Hodgdon , ADI) etc.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by ocean-hunter View Post
    Hey team,

Abit of a long shot, is there anyone rotorua based that would have the time, for me to come and spend some time watching them reloading? I wouldn't mind getting into it, but want to do it the right way and safely.
    I have a 308 and 223. The 308 I'm wanting to stretch it out abit more if possible, it's currently 18" and dpt suppressor. Realistically in your guys experience, would the max distance you would achieve.

Cheers Bevan
    Hi Bevan. I am about 45 min south of you and happy to help. PM me if you want. This Saturday tho I will be at Te Puke rifle club for the day-- along with a bunch of other keen shooters and hunters.
    veitnamcam, tetawa, zimmer and 4 others like this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Hi Bevan. I am about 45 min south of you and happy to help. PM me if you want. This Saturday tho I will be at Te Puke rifle club for the day-- along with a bunch of other keen shooters and hunters.
    That’s why I love this forum. Good buggers on here
    veitnamcam and CBH Australia like this.

Pm sent. I’m in Hamurana. More than happy to help you.
    tetawa, zimmer, Micky Duck and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ocean-hunter View Post
    Hey team,

Cheers Bevan
    Greetings Bevan,
    Totally agree with Pommy that the first step is to buy a reloading manual. My first one was the Speer no 9 in the mid 1970's. As far as max distances this is likely to depend as much on you as it does your kit. Handloading is not something that you learn over night. As with most things some planning is needed. Your long term goal may be to develop extra long range loads but a more realistic short term goal may be to produce loads that equal good factory loads which may not be as easy as it first seems.
    I also would not spend too much time on UTube. There is some good stuff but much of it is poorly disguised marketing.
    You have already started out well with the .308 and .223. Both are a doddle to get good loads.
    Rather than watching someone else hand load a better start would be to have an experienced handloader mentor you while you load your first cartridges and explaining along the way the importance of the steps and making sure you don't stuff it up. You may wish to join your local NZDA Branch. This would be a good place to locate someone with the experience and time to help you out. Don't hesitate to PM me if you have some specific load questions.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Do you have reloading set up, powder and components? ADI 2208 or 2206 are good choice in short bbl 308. As to how far you can realistically expect to shoot game animals, that comes down to skills and knowledge of the nut behind the bolt, and choice of projectiles. The old 168AMAX or 168gn NBTs perform well out of short bbl 308 at moderate to longer ranges. See other recent thread on here
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    1400m is highly optimistic for an 18" .308. You'll be working V hard to stay supersonic even to 1000yds, impossible at 1400m.
    Definitely not at animals. Bullet doesn't have to stay supersonic for targets though - it just has to be stable. E.g. I've shot my 6mm at a mile and it drops subsonic at 1200m. I said 1400m just because it's 1k more than 400m, just to illustrate "a long bloody way"
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

JLF
    Download online:"https://www.rcbs.com/rcbs-how-to-reload/rcbs-step-by-step-reloading.html" is excellent. For any questions, ask and I will help you. I'm not telling him to come, because we are a bit far ...
    Last edited by JLF; 30-12-2021 at 06:12 AM.
    Woody, Micky Duck and Jaco Goosen like this.
    There is still gunpowder left, the Grim Reaper can wait.

Good on you for asking - its always easier for me too to learn with practical assistance.

Im glad you got offered a hand too.

Remember to pay it forward and when someone someday puts up a hand asking for help.

I happily assist when I can too.
    JLF likes this.

JLF
    Always keep it in mind;
    Increasing the effective range of a rifle can be achieved in one or more of the following ways:
    Increased muzzle velocity
    Select a bullet with a higher ballistic coefficient (more aerodynamic)
    Move your firing point to a higher altitude (lower air pressure)
    There is still gunpowder left, the Grim Reaper can wait.

Quote Originally Posted by JLF View Post
    Always keep it in mind;
    Increasing the effective range of a rifle can be achieved in one or more of the following ways:
    Increased muzzle velocity
    Select a bullet with a higher ballistic coefficient (more aerodynamic)
    Move your firing point to a higher altitude (lower air pressure)
    you forgot the other way...get closer LOL.
    chainsaw, bumblefoot and JLF like this.

AR 2206h would be my first choice and winchester 748 2nd choice as it works really well in both cartridges.
    the lee die sets come with a step by simple step chart...Ive got three of them on wall above my reloading bench.reloading need not be a hard or complicated process at all.
    as for how far you will shoot,forget about it...untill you consistantly getting groups of inch or under at hundy yards,just keep going and dont try barrel stretching.for animals the short answer is this...how far away can you CONSISTANTLY place projectiles into a 3ltr plastic milk jug???? because that just so happens to be aboutthe same size as the most vital bits of most of our big game/deer/pigs let me tell you this much..300 yards is a long way away and 400 is further still.
    MOST of the deer Ive shot over last 40 years have been inside 150 yards,more of them inside 75 than over it..... only a handfull over 300 yards and they have been in last 5 years AFTER I was confident of certain hit having sorted out all the basics first.
    chainsaw likes this.