Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Reloading press

Reloading press

Might have enough for a press. Has to be able to do the 416 and they are 3.600" and probably any other magnums I accumulate. obviously strong enough too so most likely an O type press.
    Second hand and hopefully cheaper would be nice.
    What sort of budget should I have and what is best bang for buck
    Depending on suggestions they will probably a post in the buy/sell section

I got a RCBS rockchucker for 200 squid off the yellow site I dear say it. Thought that was a reasonable price, they are also a stout peice of kit.
    Cursed be the ground for our sake. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for us. For out of the ground we were taken, for the dust we are... and to the dust we shall return.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    Might have enough for a press. Has to be able to do the 416 and they are 3.600" and probably any other magnums I accumulate. obviously strong enough too so most likely an O type press.
    Second hand and hopefully cheaper would be nice.
    What sort of budget should I have and what is best bang for buck
    Depending on suggestions they will probably a post in the buy/sell section
    Lots of religion around presses haha. Be surprised what you can do with a Lee Challenger, its aluminum - but so is a Dillon. I don't have mine handy so not sure entirely about cartridge length and I'm not familiar with your calibre. Uncle Google will tell you quick enough. And if you really want cast iron the Lee Classic Cast has acquired an excellent rep. It's a while since I bought mine so check current prices..when I got mine it was a significant fraction of the cost of a RockChucker and being touted on US forums as at least equal quality. I can't fault it but maybe not asking as much of it as mayhap you will. Best is probably to go look at some close to you if you can.

I ended up with a hornady lock n load press for the 338 lap mag . Seems to handle that round no probs if that's any help .
    csmiffy likes this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

Redding big Boss 11 is the prince of single stage presses and the Ultramag is king, Any of the O presses will handle 3.6"
    just buy the best you can it will out last your grand kids, I have an RCBS Rockchucker from 1965 it is still as good as new
    there is no wear in the ram, Stick with Hornady Lyman Redding RCBS and you can't go wrong.
    6x47 and Padox like this.

I would love to see / try a summit in action, anyone used one?

A 200 dollero rockchucker would fit the budget.
    Second hand but really good better than new not so good.
    Looked up the lee classic cast. Not a bad price and supposedly built to handle a 50bmg
    But again that's why I'm asking for advice here

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    A 200 dollero rockchucker would fit the budget.
    Second hand but really good better than new not so good.
    Looked up the lee classic cast. Not a bad price and supposedly built to handle a 50bmg
    But again that's why I'm asking for advice here
    I have two of the Lee Classic Cast, one with the Breech Lock Quick change system and one without. The first will not as I understand take 50BMG dies due to their larger thread diameter than ordinary standard dies. The latter will as, like the appropriate Rock Chucker Model, it has a threaded sleeve to take standard diameter dies. The sleeve can be removed to allow the 50 BMG dies to be wound in. I have my one of the latter because I use RCBS Cowboy Action 12 gauge Shotgun dies which also require the larger diameter hole. The Lee Classics are beautifully made with a much larger diameter Ram than original Lee presses. If you get one for reloading 50BMG you will need the removable threaded sleeve in either Lee or RCBS. I believe they are the only two brands offering this but it was a couple of years ago I did my research so may now be others.
    erniec likes this.

Nope. Dont need it for the 50cal at all.
    But if it's big and strong enough to handle that, my 416 and anything smaller should be fine
    Jhon likes this.

I have an RCBS Rock Chucker and it's fine but next press will be the Redding T-7.

Sierra Bullets ran a million rounds through a Redding T-7 and had it checked and zero run out or slop, as good as new.
    shooternz likes this.

Depending how accurate you want /need to be think twice about the quick lok systems. I found they tend to wind back out and dont provide a consistent lock up and therefor consistent measurement. Others views may vary.
    csmiffy likes this.

Spotted it and been bidding on it but still haven't outbid the other dude.
    only thing that is a concern is that I cant seem to find the stroke on it to make sure the 416 will fit

I have a JR3. Nice press but not grunty like the compound linkage models.
    Longest ammo I have reloaded was 7x57.
    No trouble full length sizing 284W.
    Gap between top of shellholder and the underside of the die thread is ~ 82mm.
    The one on TM looks to be quite good. Have seen JR3's listed that were covered in rust.
    The plastic primer tray on them is usually kaput. That one looks OK.

For what you are loading you would be better off with a larger press.
    shooternz, 6x47, csmiffy and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    I have a JR3. Nice press but not grunty like the compound linkage models.
    Longest ammo I have reloaded was 7x57.
    No trouble full length sizing 284W.
    Gap between top of shellholder and the underside of the die thread is ~ 82mm.
    The one on TM looks to be quite good. Have seen JR3's listed that were covered in rust.
    The plastic primer tray on them is usually kaput. That one looks OK.

For what you are loading you would be better off with a larger press.
    Yup sort of what was starting to think on that one