Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By Larrygoat
  • 1 Post By Cigar
  • 1 Post By Woody
  • 2 Post By thatguy

Thread: Reloading shed

Reloading shed

Hi All
    I’m setting up a shed in my backyard for reloading as it’s the only space i have to do it - no garage etc. it’s a steel shed.
    Wondering if anyone has done this and advise on Insulation, keeping moisture down etc.
    Thanks

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Ditto but more my art
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Hi guys, if you are referring to the steel "garden sheds" I would recommend almost anything else. But the cost of scratch building a small shed is prohibitive. A decent compromise would be to use the small kitset sheds, but frame them up with 70x45, wrap in building paper then put the kit set cladding/roof over the paper. This should eliminate most of the condensation, as well as give you the option to line the shed with ply etc. Be sure to build a platform clear of the ground to build upon. Failing that, i have a set of skills and knowledge about building/planning that you guys are more than welcome to make use of.
    Woody, chainsaw and Moa Hunter like this.

Gone but not forgotten
    I do my reloading in a large steel shed (90 sq. m iirc). I keep my powder in a chillybin and primers in a chilly bag to reduce temperature variation
    Tommy likes this.

@muzza, no power yet, but was thing to get it installed.

@Larrygoat, I bought a steelmates shed. Planning to plant 4 posts in concrete with timber deck. Was thinking to put up some framing inside with plywood wall. This would leave a small gap between ply and corrugated steel. Think to fill with some sort of expanding foam to provide insulation. Not sure what tho...

You’re on the right track - spray-foam insulation would be the go. Anything fibrous and you’ll get condensation on the inside face of the steel, even if you line it.

Just tek screw up a plywood lining, doesnt have to be too thick, but decent enough to hang some shelves etc on it

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    @muzza, no power yet, but was thing to get it installed.

@Larrygoat, I bought a steelmates shed. Planning to plant 4 posts in concrete with timber deck. Was thinking to put up some framing inside with plywood wall. This would leave a small gap between ply and corrugated steel. Think to fill with some sort of expanding foam to provide insulation. Not sure what tho...
    Greetings Thatguy,
    As most have said condensation will be your biggest problem. First defense is to stop it getting into the shed from under the floor. Make sure the site is well drained and laying polythene over the ground before you build the floor would be a good idea. Make sure that the sub floor space is well ventilated with the floor framing clear of the ground.Some perforated foil insulation draped over the floor framing would be good The second defense is to stop the condensation on the inside of the walls and especially the roof. Your idea of framing and plywood is good but this must include the roof as well. Keep the framing clear of the wall and roof cladding and fit building paper on the outside of the framing. I would not recommend using spray foam insulation as I have seen this fail badly in the past. If it is sprayed on the inside of the steel it tends to flake off, especially on the ceiling. If you have enough space some bat type insulation especially in the ceiling would be good but not essential. There will be some condensation in the wall cavities but the building paper will absorb it until it can dry out.
    An alternative would be to use your shed for all the messy stuff, depriming, case trimming and possibly sizing and find somewhere inside the do the priming, powder charging and projectile seating. This is what I am working towards with the messy stuff in the garage and the clean stuff in an office like space yet to be built in the corner.
    Regards and All the Best,
    Grandpamac.

Mines out in the old garage with no lining and bare concrete floor and it's cold and shit. Getting a bit of rust on me dies and press. Was hoping that lining it all might help a bit, maybe chuck some bats in the wall but it has no paper so I'm thinking that's a waste of time?

Quote Originally Posted by charliehorse View Post
    Mines out in the old garage with no lining and bare concrete floor and it's cold and shit. Getting a bit of rust on me dies and press. Was hoping that lining it all might help a bit, maybe chuck some bats in the wall but it has no paper so I'm thinking that's a waste of time?
    Greetings Charliehorse,
    It is also possible, probable even, that there is no vapour barrier under the concrete floor. If there is enough space and height you can build a room within a room with a slightly raised floor. You can retro fit building paper the the walls from the inside, pressing it against the exterior cladding and folding it back and stapling it to the studs. Insulation followed by lining with two or three more interior walls and an insulated ceiling and you have a decent space. This is roughly what I am doing. Our garage floor slab has a vapour barrier and I have lined and insulated the exterior walls so I don't have as far to go. Cars bring a lot of moisture into a garage (assuming yours get into the garage, ours don't) so a separate space makes a lot of sense.
    Regards Grandpamac.

I reload in my skyline type shed. I have a meat / dog tucker freezer in there and the heat generated seems to keep the area moisture free. There is tarpaper in the roof and it has well sealed concrete floor but no wall lining other than shelving benches and some cupboards. In really cold weather I use an oilfin heater on thermostat control.
    Cyclops likes this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Hey guys, just an update on what I have decided to do and working on.

Shed is on a raised timber deck, with polystyrene insulation under. On top of the timber floor will be Marine grade garage carpet. I have also used some polythene as flashing to seal of any potential gap between floor and shed.

Steel cladding completely sealed off with silicon. Inside, applying same polystyrene insulation (20mm) to walls and ceiling. It will be held in place by timber framing and cover by 7mm plywood/ 5mm MDF board.

Lastly I’ll be making use of those rechargeable dehumidifiers.

Will keep an eye on things with a hygrometer.
    charliehorse and mimms2 like this.

Sounds like a nice plan
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.