Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Reloading Shotshells

Who on here is loading shotshells?

I thought I'd give it a go so bought Baz' Lee press off trademe. But at this stage of doing some re-reading of the ABC's of reloading book it sounds way more complicated than rifle reloading. Once I get my head around it I'll be right I suppose. But how do i find out what type of cases I've got here? I have a big bucket full of Falcon trap cases left over from a Young Farmers clay shoot.
    Anyone know what type these would be?

Bound to have more questions, like powder, primers etc,

but I'll see how many others do it. Or am I the only one stupid enough......

Oh wasn't sure whether I should post this in here or under 'Shotgunning'.

Kyle
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

I loaded shotgun ammo. but I dont think its a safe way to do it so yeah. sorry I cant be of any help.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Falcon shotshells are constructed with Fiocchi components (that is what they say in their advertising). You need reloading components which are compatible with the shotshell cases you are going to use. Most of the stuff you can buy in NZ is focussed on Winchester AA cases (not Fiocchi). So, get hold of some Win AA cases, then Winchester wads specified for the loads you want to use. The primers vary in their strength so stick to the loads in the book (you need a reliable book of loads, e.g., the one from Lyman which will tell you everything you need about powders and other components). The book from Lyman has schematic pictures of the interiors of each type of case which will help you identify different cases if you get into the esoterics of shotshell reloading. Reloading shotshell cases is interesting but different from metallic case reloading, but probably a bit less complicated. Lots of components mouldering away in sheds around the country due to duck shooters moving to steel and a change in value of the NZ dollar vs. the US dollar, so ask around.

Cheers Rupert. Since posting I have found a little bit out.
    I see Reloaders has some once fired Win AA cases for sale and some wads also, brain has stopped functioning now. It will be nice to resume normal hours and catch up with work, and then sleep.

I'll have a look around for the Lyman book

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    I got the Lyman box the other month as I'm about to start loading for my Mrs skeet shooting - its a really good book, has all the cases, loads, primer combos etc in it
    Shotgun is a set formula - you dont work a load up or anything.
    I brought 5000 once fired hulls, 10,000 wads and 575 lbs of shot in with my last order
    Should keep us going for a while

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    I got the Lyman box the other month as I'm about to start loading for my Mrs skeet shooting - its a really good book, has all the cases, loads, primer combos etc in it
    Shotgun is a set formula - you dont work a load up or anything.
    I brought 5000 once fired hulls, 10,000 wads and 575 lbs of shot in with my last order
    Yea I think its the set formula thing thats making me paranoid, want to make sure I get all the right items. Especially wads and cases.

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    A bit over a year if your Mrs shoots one round of Skeet a day, and you'll have 800 wads left over! I hope she's going to be pulling the handle on the reloading press

Ray.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

I reload a lot of shotgun cartridges, all gauges, the ADI powders are fine, if you get really stuck then there is a heap of help here: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...bc796149391124
    But here in NZ you will struggle to save money reloading 12g, sub gauges yes, especially 410, 28g . Do like Spanners buy in bulk, I guess the kids would say Uber bulk!!!!
    Maybe we can get a forum buy together, I know that the gun clubs used to buy in bulk that way...............
    I would be interested. AAs seem to be the way to go if you can, the Fiocchi/Euro hulls have oversized primer pockets, different from the US stuff. FYI.
    Machete don't text!
    (.)(.) = :-)))

Quote Originally Posted by Bulltahr View Post
    I reload a lot of shotgun cartridges, all gauges, the ADI powders are fine, if you get really stuck then there is a heap of help here: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...bc796149391124
    But here in NZ you will struggle to save money reloading 12g, sub gauges yes, especially 410, 28g . Do like Spanners buy in bulk, I guess the kids would say Uber bulk!!!!
    Maybe we can get a forum buy together, I know that the gun clubs used to buy in bulk that way...............
    I would be interested. AAs seem to be the way to go if you can, the Fiocchi/Euro hulls have oversized primer pockets, different from the US stuff. FYI.
    Thanks for that Bulltahr, I did read somewhere that some cases have bigger primer pockets but it didn't elaborate on which ones.
    Might as well biff this lot then and source some AA cases.
    Not really doing it to save money, more the satisfaction of making ammo then using it to get some game on the table.

Once again appreciate everyones input thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by puku View Post
    Yip - Lyman #5
    I got it off Amazon

Quote Originally Posted by ishoot10s View Post
    A bit over a year if your Mrs shoots one round of Skeet a day, and you'll have 800 wads left over! I hope she's going to be pulling the handle on the reloading press

Ray.
    I'm not sure I could setup a skeet field on my section.. infact I could.. but the neighbours prob wouldnt like it much I'd say...

I'll put some thought into it once the current lot is cleared from customs then I'll have an idea on total cost - will be next week,
    I can get AA once fired, shot from 4-9s and all sorts of wads at a reasonable price in the US, and have sea freight sorted - tag it into a order which is what I did with this lot - also have access to powder and primers

Yeap, It's primers where we get really screwed check out the US price for W209 and then ask Gunworks how much..............
    Machete don't text!
    (.)(.) = :-)))

Yeap, It's primers where we get really screwed check out the US price for W209 and then ask Gunworks how much..............
    Yes but a Hazmat shipment from the US is almost $11k US in freight, let alone getting it to the port and dealing with it here.
    I hope to have something alot better than RRP here, but not as good as US, avail in about 4 weeks