Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Sideshow
  • 1 Post By Gibo
  • 2 Post By gonetropo
  • 1 Post By stug
  • 1 Post By Sideshow
  • 2 Post By WallyR
  • 1 Post By play4laugh

Thread: Reloading stage one

Reloading stage one

I'm at stage one of reloading. That is, convincing home command that I need all this new gear.

I'd be interested to hear what has worked for others.

On convincing home command?
    Well I find taking for a lovely evening out flowers and the clothes and shoe shopping generally goes a long way in the convincing department....oh and tell them that it's cheaper in the long run that's a good one
    Ps your not someone's other half, sneaking on here to chatch us all out are you
    PERRISCICABA likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

A few guide books and then the rest will depend on how much you shoot and the space at home that you have available.

PERRISCICABA likes this.

Fulla
    Wear the pants.

i bought myself a hornady kit. cost me about $700= dies, powder. etc

i like it, its not fast but gets the job done
    Micky Duck and WallyR like this.

Depends on what you want. You can start with a Lee Loader if you have a calibre they make them in. They are pretty cheap and turn out quality ammo, but not quick. You will probably want to buy a set of scales.
    Otherwise a good set of scales, press, shell holder and dies will get you started. You can add other things as you go.
    WallyR likes this.

SECOND IT! The Big Boss Redding press is better than my little Lee press.
    Please be advised to find a nice reloading book too… Berger, Hornady, Nosler, etc for the good information about how things work in the "system", come to this great forum sometimes will have a little delay in answers, you can have a great time reading and learning as you go from the books information (i mean reloading data books). ADI Powders has a great online source for data too…

my 0.02c$

I reload on a Lee single stage since i begun, i added various other equipment along the way but even with the basic gear i did produce great ammo and still do.

A nice set of balance beam scales. Read a few reviews the lee ones are accurate but will drive you around the bend as you wait for them to stop I have a Hornady set that are quite good. Well I like em. Oh and good callipers
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

I bought a Hornady Classic Reloading kit, plus dies - to get started.
    The electronic scales drift off the 'Tare' setting after a few weighs, so borrowed a mate's older Lyman beam scale.
    Takes longer this way, but consistency out of an FT/R rifle was what I was after.
    Even if it's consistently out, the ammo will shoot to the same POI, which it does often (erratic rifle operator is the real reason it can be inconsistent).
    I already had calipers from my apprenticeship days, so bought the Hornady fitting to measure CBTO.
    Still experimenting with 'jump' distance ATM, but everything (including skill level), is improving.
    My 308 hand loads in a borrowed hi $$$$ value FT/R, which I shot before Xmas, scored 58.1X, so in the right gear, so the loads can perform consistently.
    Good gear = good results.
    PERRISCICABA and Sideshow like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    Wear the pants.
    Good tip

Quote Originally Posted by WallyR View Post
    I bought a Hornady Classic Reloading kit, plus dies - to get started.
    The electronic scales drift off the 'Tare' setting after a few weighs, so borrowed a mate's older Lyman beam scale.
    Takes longer this way, but consistency out of an FT/R rifle was what I was after.
    Even if it's consistently out, the ammo will shoot to the same POI, which it does often (erratic rifle operator is the real reason it can be inconsistent).
    I already had calipers from my apprenticeship days, so bought the Hornady fitting to measure CBTO.
    Still experimenting with 'jump' distance ATM, but everything (including skill level), is improving.
    My 308 hand loads in a borrowed hi $$$$ value FT/R, which I shot before Xmas, scored 58.1X, so in the right gear, so the loads can perform consistently.
    Good gear = good results.
    Looks good. I'll like the Forster dies (but not the price of them). How would they go with redding press?

Quote Originally Posted by play4laugh View Post
    Looks good. I'll like the Forster dies (but not the price of them). How would they go with redding press?
    Oops, this was supposed to be on Gibo's post
    WallyR likes this.

Forster will go fine in the redding press, so will redding dies