Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By omark

Thread: Reloading Webley .455 Mk II

Reloading Webley .455 Mk II

Anyone have experience with this cartridge and have tips and info to offer? The Lee 3 die set is on its way to me, but I'm still wondering about the projectiles I should use, powder, etc. I'll also have to figure out how to do the primers on a handgun cartridge.

Cheers

The hollow base projectiles are the only way to go and you cast them using a plug
    Lyman are about the only ones making a suitable mold although noe did one a few years back
    Lyman is just a single cavity

Lee dies are fine
    If you check on TM there is a guy in Tokoroa who sells the hollow based projectiles
    Micky Duck likes this.

Banned
    Robertw1 is the traders name, the 260 grain projectiles he sells are $15 for 50 and will be perfect for what you need.

3.8 grains of Trail Boss will pretty much duplicate the factoy load. Using Trail Boss means there's no way you can double charge the case.

Great, will order the projectiles from him. Thanks for that info guys. And Thanks systolic for powder info - easy to get stuff too. Regarding primers, my brother will be handling the reloading and his kit only handles rifle primers. Hmm.

Pistol and rifle primers both small and large are the same size only the hardness is different. So your brother should have no trouble unless the case are berdan primed which is unlikely.

Does anyone have any experience with loading .455 webley with other powders
    In particular ADIs Ap70 or vitavouri 320?

No but thank god for this forum as I am about to venture on this same path, just need to get two last magical ingredients, dies, grips to replace the missing ones and cases and we are away laughing! I’ve cast the projectiles and now have load data! Will be watching this post to see everyone else’s progress.

I've tried most powders including unique, bullseye, Rex 32, trailboss and more recently bluedot. The 265gn rcbs hollow base bullets are the only way to go. I've tried the 44lc projectiles with limited success

Best loads so far is 3.8gn trailboss. Primer wise I use winchester as they are hotter than others.
    4.3 of unique also works ok but is very dirty.
    Reloaders carry the .455 dies or you an use 45lc

Good luck with finding the grips. There are a couple of sources overseas which make copies if the hardened rubber origionals

hi i use unique powder 4 to 4.5 grains and i use a 454 long colt single caveity mold i size with lee size die lube with liquid alox works good for me