Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

reloading,what do I need to start off???????

Hey there Guys!

I'm pondering about getting into reloading,for my 25-06 and AR-15.....

I'm doing it for bullet selection and as I'm yet to do any load development on my AR I'd like to fine tune it to see how potent its accuracy can be, and I'm doing it for cost as I'm a natural tight arse.

For for 25-06 I'm after a general purpose load and then a long range load,I already have 4 15round sampler packs from GW and was thinking the Berger VLD would fill the long range spot nicely, as for the general purpose load like Hornady interbonds...

for the AR, 2 purposes, a fallow load and for that sierra Gamekings? and a bunny busting load for out to 400m....
    I was thinking V-max's for the bunny load or like some nosler Bt's?

thats my purposes,now then what gear do I actually need to get started?I want to be reloading 100rounds of 223 at a time and 50 of 25-06....
    I've been told hornady new demensions stuff is pretty good?

cheers guys!

A kit or second hand. Press ,dies ,scales is all you "need" plus consumables.
    There is lots and lots of other shit that makes things easier/faster/better and you will find yourself getting some of it.

YOU WILL NOT SAVE MONEY! You will spend more. Cost per shot will go down but you will shoot more guaranteed.

And of course buying all the other things that are nice to have.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

P38
    Buy a good reloading manual first.

i use this all the time ADI Powders Handloaders' Guide

Impure Lead Flinger
    I have ten manuels and sometimes spend hours with em spread over the bed with my load book in devisings lol.....

Best advice I can give.... Try get quality basics secondhand of trademe if ur serious.... Alot of the lee gear is rubbish and ull upgrade sooner rather than later if u take that track... Ive got hornady gear mostly as thats wat rocked my cradle wen I upgraded, and its great except that lock and keeps comin out load gimmick it has so I glued it in lol

If its guns, tits or tyres it's going to cost you lots of money

hmmm cheers for that guys.... I would happily buy the gear but...... My car is on the brink of being written off thanks to a stupid digger transporter being parked taking up the whole lane which I was travelling on in the middle of a blind corner!!!! arrrghhh! so no more guns etc for a while untill my car is back up and running....

cheers for that though guys!

R93
    I have got a 100 62gr 5.56rounds you can have and the brass is lake city, re-loadable. I pull the pills and load my favs and BMII,
    goes well in my .223. You may stuggle to shoot them if your barrel is not faster than 1:12.
    It should tie you over till ya get your wagon fixed if your short of coin.

Squashed like a Flea
    G'Day Fella's,

P38 got it right!
    Get a Reloading Manual first and read it from one end to the other, until you understand what you will actually be doing!!!

If you have little or no engineering experience or knowledge, the Nick Harvey and Nosler manuals are well written.

I'm biased, I like Redding and RCBS reloading gear!
    It all depends on how much Shootin and Reloadin, you'll be doing!!!
    If you will be doing Lots, save up and buy the Best Quality (Redding & RCBS)

Hope that helps

Doh!
    Homer

Cutting Edge Bullets Terminator's Avatar
    My advise is to go visit a couple of reloaders that have been at it for a while and see how different gear works good or bad before buying anything.
    1000yds is fun, 1500yds is getting interesting, 2000yds is exciting, 2500yds will blow your mind

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I have got a 100 62gr 5.56rounds you can have and the brass is lake city, re-loadable. I pull the pills and load my favs and BMII,
    goes well in my .223. You may stuggle to shoot them if your barrel is not faster than 1:12.
    It should tie you over till ya get your wagon fixed if your short of coin.

Yea mine has the wylde 5.56 chamber in it and its a 1 in 8 twist.... are they sp or fmjs? I'll see how it goes with the car but I'm staring 2k in the face right now.......

2k which should be used to buy that cz 550 fs!

oh well yea i've got a teacher whom I still keep contact with from school who is a wealth of knowledge and gave me litterly hundreds of pages on reloading etc i just haven't had the time to get around to reading em!

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    Yea mine has the wylde 5.56 chamber in it and its a 1 in 8 twist.... are they sp or fmjs? I'll see how it goes with the car but I'm staring 2k in the face right now.......

2k which should be used to buy that cz 550 fs!

oh well yea i've got a teacher whom I still keep contact with from school who is a wealth of knowledge and gave me litterly hundreds of pages on reloading etc i just haven't had the time to get around to reading em!
    They are FMJ. Still yours if ya want them.