Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By PerazziSC3
  • 1 Post By steven
  • 1 Post By Berquist

Thread: Reloading, where to start

Question Reloading, where to start

Hey all,

New to the forum... Some great threads on here, wanted to start the old chestnut of beginning reloading.

I'm wanting better accuracy LR (350+) and factory rounds just don't cut the mustard. There's a lot on the web about reloading, but a huge amount contradicts each other. I'm really after some advice from some NZ reloaders and where I can best start...

I'm wanting to start with my 270win (thru a Sako finnlight).: I'm looking at a RCBS Rock Chucker kit and a case trimmer(brand undecided) to get me started?? Thoughts??

Projectiles and powder, pretty confused here to???

Any help would be great??

get a reloading handbook, such as the hornady and there are others brands, gives you heaps go info regarding loads and the whole in's and outs of reloading.

then its just load development for your gun, for accuracy and speed

Change cal

But no get a reloading manual and have a good read in that. Should set you straight. Lymans 49th edition is a good one so I've been told
    VIVA LA HOWA

Buy this, flick of the 308 dies and get some 270

Reloading Gear | Trade Me

Cant help you with 270 as I have no experience with it but sounds like you have a nice gun

If you can afford the rockchucker get it, get the best gear you can justify
    mucko likes this.

Nick Harveys, Hornady, Noslers two offerings the reloading manual and going ballistic, and if you can source it there is another good one called ABC's of reloading. my accuracy loads for a 6.5x55 I had came from working from the nosler manual. Not sure if 45south from this forum still brings in manuals but may pay to PM him and ask also for reloading gear workshop innovations has some pretty sharp prices along with a very good range of gear and has damn good customer service.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

A complete setup is about $700.

Lee do a 50th anniversary kit at about $200, it has most of what you need at an amazing price, id suggest looking at one before buying more expensive...

Lee 50th Anniversary Kit

its a very good start point, Id add a digital scales at $70 to that,

a sonic cleaner $99 or $189

EZ Sonic Cleaner

Ultra Sonic Cleaner 2.5lit 170w

Lee do a nice looking case length trimmer that fits in the press at $29 plus its bush ($20?) its on my list of bits to get.

I have a delux 308w Lee die set $69 but Im un-impressed with the neck sizing die so I'd suggest a different manufacturer's die sets. I'll very probably buy Competition Reading when I have the $s. Std Reading is around $100, competition set $200+ I have RCBS dies for my Russian 54R on order, only they do a neck sizer...$200. Hornady die sets $80+

digital calipers about $60.

Powder trickler is nice to have at about $29+

2 reloading manuals, Lee's is $35 and not bad, I suppliment that by downloading the adi charts off the Internet, but Im aiming to buy the Nossler manual next.

Get on youtube look up ammosmith and iraqveteran8888 they have good reloading vids.

Savage1 likes this.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    A complete setup is about $700.

Lee do a 50th anniversary kit at about $200, it has most of what you need at an amazing price, id suggest looking at one before buying more expensive...

Lee 50th Anniversary Kit

its a very good start point, Id add a digital scales at $70 to that,

a sonic cleaner $99 or $189

EZ Sonic Cleaner

Ultra Sonic Cleaner 2.5lit 170w

Lee do a nice looking case length trimmer that fits in the press at $29 plus its bush ($20?) its on my list of bits to get.

I have a delux 308w Lee die set $69 but Im un-impressed with the neck sizing die so I'd suggest a different manufacturer's die sets. I'll very probably buy Competition Reading when I have the $s. Std Reading is around $100, competition set $200+ I have RCBS dies for my Russian 54R on order, only they do a neck sizer...$200. Hornady die sets $80+

digital calipers about $60.

Powder trickler is nice to have at about $29+

2 reloading manuals, Lee's is $35 and not bad, I suppliment that by downloading the adi charts off the Internet, but Im aiming to buy the Nossler manual next.

Get on youtube look up ammosmith and iraqveteran8888 they have good reloading vids.

Yup Iraq veteran does some real good videos especially the torture tests on rifles
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Berquist View Post
    Hey all,

New to the forum... Some great threads on here, wanted to start the old chestnut of beginning reloading.

I'm wanting better accuracy LR (350+) and factory rounds just don't cut the mustard. There's a lot on the web about reloading, but a huge amount contradicts each other. I'm really after some advice from some NZ reloaders and where I can best start...

I'm wanting to start with my 270win (thru a Sako finnlight).: I'm looking at a RCBS Rock Chucker kit and a case trimmer(brand undecided) to get me started?? Thoughts??

Projectiles and powder, pretty confused here to???

Any help would be great??
    Im not a reloading expurt but im reloading for the same resons .....keep your rifle its premo.second AI your 270 and then youll own a tac driving monstergood luck mate nice rifle and a cool cal don't change a thing there.

Thanks mate will do

Thanks chief, sound advice

Thanks guys for all the advice, got somewhere to start now. No doubt be in touch again once I've started...

Off to read my new reloading manual, while i boil a tahr head!!!
    veitnamcam likes this.