Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Jhon
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Jhon
  • 1 Post By Frogfeatures
  • 1 Post By charliehorse

Thread: Remember to clean yer dies

Remember to clean yer dies

I'm guessing most of us do, but maybe not. Took delivery of a set of used dies today in 44-40. Needed a light wirebrushing on the outside for cosmetics to make bright and shiny which suits me. Then a wipe out of the insides with Isopropyl Alcohol. Got to the the bullet seating die, seating plug had to be pushed out of accumulated bullet lube with a rod. Then it took me 20min of soaking and bronze brushing, not to get the old accumulated lube out of the bore, but the lead shavings that seemed fused to the steel. I mean the lube was bad enough but man, that last few deposits of lead had me wondering if someone had been using the die for a firing chamber lol. Wouldn't do much for accurately seated pills I imagine. Now I'm looking at my collected die sets on the shelf trying to recollect the last time I cleaned them before or after a reloading session. Maybe doesn't matter so much for a pistol target at 20 paces but might be the difference with cast out of a rifle barrel at 80, or more. Anyway...
    planenutz likes this.

you can do worse than drop them into container of two stroke petrol to soak for an hor or two....maybe not ideal for rubber seals/rings but it sure cleans the gunk out well.
    timattalon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    you can do worse than drop them into container of two stroke petrol to soak for an hor or two....maybe not ideal for rubber seals/rings but it sure cleans the gunk out well.
    Yeah true that, about half way thru I was wondering why I wasn't using bore cleaner. Or a Diesel bath. Probably bore cleaner smells better wafting from the basement...
    Micky Duck likes this.

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    Brake kleen works well
    stagstalker likes this.
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

+1 for Brakleen as advised on this forum previously
    stagstalker likes this.