Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree16Likes
  • 1 Post By dannyb
  • 1 Post By nor-west
  • 1 Post By Eastern Wander
  • 6 Post By Ryan_Songhurst
  • 1 Post By Moa Hunter
  • 2 Post By Mooseman
  • 2 Post By stagstalker
  • 1 Post By Butch73
  • 1 Post By Moa Hunter

Thread: Remington 270 and 145 ELD-X

Remington 270 and 145 ELD-X

Currently loading for a mates 270 with the 145 ELD-X and I'm close but not quite on the money. Rifle is a Remington 700 with a nice solid stock (unsure brand) that is bedded and fully free floated. Good talley rings and Swaro Z5 scope. I have been over the rifle from head to toe at the start and she is good. Shoots relatively good too.

My question is what the general findings are on how much jump the 145 ELD-X tends to like in 270s? I know a couple of you running Tikka 270s who just seat them to mag length and get easy no fuss loads, but, this rifle is proving to be a Remington not a Tikka haha. It has a crazy long throat and ample magazine length so no issue on how far or close they are seated.

I wanted to use superformance but couldn't get any so have been playing with my Reloader 17 and IMR4831 that I had on shelf. Best results so far are with 51.5gr Rel 17 getting MOA - sometimes sub MOA. 2780fps from the 20” barrel.

Cheers
    Last edited by stagstalker; 04-12-2020 at 08:53 PM.

can't help you with jump but in my experience the 145 eldx hasn't been fussy I have loaded them for 3 different rifles 2 x sako a7's and 1 sako finbear the a7's were seated to mag length with a fair amount of jump the finbear was seated to 20thou off the lands
    all rifles shot sub moa 3 shot groups at 100 yards with little fuss using adi 2213sc
    I will be undertaking load development of my model 70 270 win hopefully in the next week but not with ELDX as I'm going to try bergers and partitions for something different but if all else fails I know it won't be hard to work up an ELDX load.
    I found anything around 2900-3100fps is pretty easy to achieve and plenty enough grunt for hunting to plenty far out.

Maybe start at Sammi and see how you go, seating them in the lands is not always the best option.....or try seating them out and work your way back whichever you feel more comfortable doing.
    stagstalker likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

In my old Sako 55 grains of 4831sc now 2213sc worked great with 150 grain bullets, so maybe 2213sc is the answer.
    Last edited by nor-west; 04-12-2020 at 09:55 PM.
    stagstalker likes this.

I use 57.3gr rl 23, in my Rem 700, started @ 10 thou off the lands,
    Settled 20 thou off, probably one of the quickest load developments I’ve done.
    Bang on 2900 out of a 21inch barrel. Loaded up to 58gr with no pressure, but I was happy with speed and accuracy at 57.3.
    stagstalker likes this.

56gr reloder 23, 3012fps, 24" Kimber Montana. Farks me how far off the lands just loaded at mag length 3.385"
    Shoots ok...
    Name:  Screenshot_20201128_180941.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  116.7 KB
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Banned
    My Rem 700 shoots Winny factory Powerpoints very well 1/2 moa. The seating depth difference between 20 thou off the lands handloads and the factory loads is 300 thou. I have moved back from 20 thou off (which makes handloads ridiculously long) to 150thou off and groups are straight away much better. Might try some at 300 thou off and see how they go, if showing promise I can play with fine tuning from that point. Shorter loads are safer from a hunting load point with lower pressure and more safety margin
    stagstalker likes this.

I load mine at 83.5 mm in my Tikka with that bullet and 57 grains of Superformance. Very accurate and plenty of grunt at about 3100 fps.That load is about max in my rifle so treat with caution. If you can get some Superformance it's worth a go.
    dannyb and stagstalker like this.

@Freezer has a rem 700 and loads 145eldx

Cheers everyone, ended up settling on a load using the Red 17. My mate has been away hunting with it over the last two days and shot a couple of deer and nailed targets at 600 using the dial chart I did up for him so he's a happy man!
    Mooseman and Ryan_Songhurst like this.

Hi all. Big thanks to everyone who has shared info on 270 loads with the 145gr ELD-X. Just back to hunting with my 30 year old 270 A-bolt, A new scope and these loads have given it a new lease of life (why buy a 6.5 PRC!)
    25 /08 IMP likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    My Rem 700 shoots Winny factory Powerpoints very well 1/2 moa. The seating depth difference between 20 thou off the lands handloads and the factory loads is 300 thou. I have moved back from 20 thou off (which makes handloads ridiculously long) to 150thou off and groups are straight away much better. Might try some at 300 thou off and see how they go, if showing promise I can play with fine tuning from that point. Shorter loads are safer from a hunting load point with lower pressure and more safety margin
    correct me if Im wrong here...but wont a shorter round have HIGHER pressure???? because its got less room inside case......but yes I agree seat to mag length is far better than single feed.
    long throat is good for pressure as projectile can start moving and lower pressure almost instantly,pretty sure that was Weatherby theory behind why thier rifles are made the way they are...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    correct me if Im wrong here...but wont a shorter round have HIGHER pressure???? because its got less room inside case......but yes I agree seat to mag length is far better than single feed.
    long throat is good for pressure as projectile can start moving and lower pressure almost instantly,pretty sure that was Weatherby theory behind why thier rifles are made the way they are...
    Well MD with your recent first hand over pressure experience I expect you know more about this than me !!! What I have found is that seating close to the lands (20thou) was all fine and well but the loads were silly long. Moving back another 150 thou gave more consistent ES - so better powder burn because of a better case fill ?. As you know 270 loads always have room to spare and the most accurate modern target cartridges are filled up. Also Dicko posted that with ordinary dies getting really consistent seating depths was a dream or words to that effect. He is quite correct, so moving seating back is giving a margin of safety against a pressure spike that could happen with a projectile against the lands. I think as you have written, that if I moved seating back another 150 thou to be at SAMMI spec then pressure would increase.
    Micky Duck likes this.

good stuff ol chap....yes my recent over pressure is still forefront of my mind....will be for some time.
    if n when I get the ol girl running again...or replace with another poohseventy,I will be sticking to 2213 or its hodgdon equivient and not changing a plurry thing ever ever again......stuff that for game of soldiers,wouldnt want it to happen to anyone .

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    good stuff ol chap....yes my recent over pressure is still forefront of my mind....will be for some time.
    if n when I get the ol girl running again...or replace with another poohseventy,I will be sticking to 2213 or its hodgdon equivient and not changing a plurry thing ever ever again......stuff that for game of soldiers,wouldnt want it to happen to anyone .
    I had a post 64 model 70. I have no sellers remorse from changing. The mod 70 was functional in the way a 303 enfield is but had a terrible trigger and soft half bolt lift, sloppy bolt camming and poor quality barrel compared to the BSA and Remmy that replaced it. Could it be a sign from the Gods that a change of model is deserved ??

MD, did you write up your unplanned reloading experience by any chance?

If not can you let on what powder or loads you were using to reach this heighten state of excitement?