Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Remington Core-Lokt back in supply

Remington Core-Lokt back in supply

For some time I have been told that this ammo is no longer being produced or available?

Got an email from NIOA (au site) but the new Core lokt ammo range..
    https://www.remington.com/ammunition...ifle/core-lokt

Seems it may be coming back?

Huk
    Think another company took over rem when they got sold up cant remember who

Huk
    P.S the ammo side of rem

Hunting and fishing Rotorua 7mm08 140gr $52. I went to h&f because you can park right outside the shop. Thought I put that in before you want me hung at dawn for using them
    Micky Duck likes this.

The Core-Lokt ammo became popular back in the day, because the bullets held together better than the usual cup-n-core bullets of the day. Winchester tried to counter with their Silvertip ammo, but is was just hype. The Silvertip was almost explosive and had very poor penetration; it just looked sexy.

I'm 73 and have been reloading since I was 13. We used mostly Sierra bullets back then, very accurate cup-n-cores, and they worked well enough. I did use Remington bullets when I could find them for elk ammo and mule deer ammo. The old Core-Lokts never let me down. I put them on par with Speer Hot Cores. Neither were the most accurate bullets, both killed well, and both would shoot a minute of antelope all day, every day.

I've now gravitated to Nosler AccuBonds and to Particians if going after elk, on up.

Some left over from "back in the day"

Last edited by luv2safari; 06-03-2021 at 09:00 AM.
    Hunt with Class and Classics

“I have more promises than a vestal virgin, less time than a parking meter and less results than a sterile sire.”

Certainly available over here.

Banned
    'The slowest mushrooms in the woods'
    199p likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by luv2safari View Post
    The Core-Lokt ammo became popular back in the day, because the bullets held together better than the usual cup-n-core bullets of the day. Winchester tried to counter with their Silvertip ammo, but is was just hype. The Silvertip was almost explosive and had very poor penetration; it just looked sexy.

I'm 73 and have been reloading since I was 13. We used mostly Sierra bullets back then, very accurate cup-n-cores, and they worked well enough. I did use Remington bullets when I could find them for elk ammo and mule deer ammo. The old Core-Lokts never let me down. I put them on par with Speer Hot Cores. Neither were the most accurate bullets, both killed well, and both would shoot a minute of antelope all day, every day.

I've now gravitated to Nosler AccuBonds and to Particians if going after elk, on up.

Some left over from "back in the day"

Have you got a 270 drilling to show us ???
    Mark M likes this.

Ive got about 2 of the same age .308 projectiles left...with the same star shaped exposed lead....awesome rounds...but I liked the silvertips too both in 30/30 and 270...... the oldschool aluminium covered ones not the modern black coloured ballistic tip ones.....

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    'The slowest mushrooms in the woods'
    Doesn't matter. Cannot kill an animal deader than dead

Always liked the terminal performance of the CL.

Quote Originally Posted by chindit View Post
    Hunting and fishing Rotorua 7mm08 140gr $52. I went to h&f because you can park right outside the shop. Thought I put that in before you want me hung at dawn for using them
    You can fill ya boots as to where you shop but always have parked outside most shops I’ve bought ammo from...even if I haven’t , just a short walk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Have you got a 270 drilling to show us ???
    Funny you asked...

I had one in 20ga 3" and 270Win with a 1.5-6 Zeiss about ten years ago, a Greifelt. It had been a 16ga gun someone made modern barrels for, and whoever did it was a master. I liked it, but $omeone wanted it A Lot more, $o I $old it.

I miss the gun and haven't found one since.

“I have more promises than a vestal virgin, less time than a parking meter and less results than a sterile sire.”

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Interesting what you say about Silvertips.
    My dad swore by silvertips when I was a kid (mid fifties now). And we would always try to recover projectiles from animals to analyze their performance.
    Back then we only had red deer, pigs and goats around here. Goats were in large numbers so using Silvertips on them was quite expensive, dad had heaps of 3006 ball ammo (the dirty boil your barrel afterwards stuff) which the goats got. We hardly ever shot pigs unless they were really big. Just used a knife.
    It was always drummed into me that a good projectile will be under the skin on the far side. Something I still subscribe to depending on a few variables.
    Dad and my old uncle always used 180 grainers in 3006's, which might explain why they never seemed overly explosive. Weight retention and a good mushroom were key.
    When you are young and mad keen (obsessively) on hunting, any information passed on by hunting dads and uncles was taken as gospel.
    I still have a few 30-06 Silvertips from about 50 years ago. Geezo I'm getting old...

I also have a box of some later 30-30 Silvertips. In 30-30 the Power-Points perform about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Huk View Post
    Think another company took over rem when they got sold up cant remember who
    In the Remington arms debacle Federal grabbed Rem Ammo.
    BSA and Huk like this.