Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dermastor

Thread: Resizing different brass manufacturers

Question Resizing different brass manufacturers

Hi All,

A real beginner question and I think I know the answer but just want clarification from some more experienced people. I am starting single stage rifle reloading (been pistol reloading on a progressive for a few years) and starting with 270Win and 7mm-08, using RCBS full length die sets. I am using one manufacturer of brass for my reloads (Geco) but want to set up using extra brass I have (Federal) so if I screw something up whilst learning, I can consider that brass scrap.

Both my Geco brass that I plan to use and Federal once fired have identical cartridge headspace measurements (obviously as it's the same chamber). If I set my sizing die to bump the shoulder back 0.002" on the Federal brass could I then resize the Geco brass without adjusting the die for a 0.002" shoulder bump on that?

I assume I can but just want to make sure. Does different brass manufacturers size differently given they may have slightly different alloy ratios and hardness?

Yes you should be ok. As the brass work hardens it will loose its spring. Different brands could resist the die but no so much you would notice. As always when giving the shoulder a bump not the full treatment check some of the brass in the chamber to make sure the bolt closes without caming on the brass before you prime or seat bullets. However as with all reloading don't substitute the different brands of brass when loading the same powder charge.
    WallyR likes this.

Cheers for the reply! Yeah will do, I only plan to use one type of head stamp for each calibre but have some scrap brass of each to help set up. Good point with the cases, I assume that it to ensure the head area of the case hasnt grown too much as I won't be resizing the entire way down the case?

Federal in my expeience is the worst brass for reloading so is excellent for practice. If its rifle specific there is no need to fl size for a few loadings just back the die off a bit so only the neck gets resized. You will get much better brass life.

If you have no way of measuring how far the full length die bumps the shoulder which only needs 2-3 though push back I would set the die to just kiss the shell holder. Check your bolt will close on the case after each reload if it starts to get stiff turn the die down a bit more.