Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Is RL17 a barrel burner?

Is RL17 a barrel burner?

I'm thinking about upping the game with my dirty old .284 which apart from a trip to Stewart Island, its basically gone unused for far too long.

"Mr Google" says that RL17 is basically the New black, when it comes to .284 performance. This sounds almost to good to be true, the velocities quoted online where faster than my 7mmwsm! So if RL17 is this fast - what's the cost? Is it barrel life?

Anyone got first hand experience, how many shots fired, what barrel length, load details, velocities...

Many thanks in advance

Kj

I'll be following this with interest, my 708 just got converted and re17 was giving velocities much higher than anticipated

See if you can find a decent supply first, there is very little of it around .....

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    See if you can find a decent supply first, there is very little of it around .....
    Yeah but our calibres dont need 120gr a load....

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    See if you can find a decent supply first, there is very none of it around .....
    fixed.

I was using reloader 17 for some time, just sold my last pound i had cause it was a bit of a joke how unavailable it had been for a while.. I was using it in a 300wsm, velocitys were good.

I have now changed to adi powder for everything as its always available
    7mmsaum likes this.

I know a few people who have gone down the R17 path. At the longer distances you may find the accuracy not as good or temperature stability not as good.
    I am not sure the powder itself is a barrel burner but getting the heavier projectiles up above 3000fps seems to burn barrels pretty good.
    kimjon likes this.
    You cannot miss fast enough!
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GPREventsNZ
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/sgil045

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    You don't get speed for free.
    7mmsaum, kimjon, BRADS and 2 others like this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Once my re17 is used up might try vihtavourI n550 in my 284 Tikka
    Last edited by von tempsky fan; 09-06-2015 at 08:42 AM.

Thanks for the replies, so a few things to consider. Monday just stick with ADI then, as it's served me well over the years.

Kj

R93
    I use it in one caliber that gets velocity with 1.5 grns less than any others I have tried.
    It does not seem sensitive in any temperature I have tried and would suggest it may be in extremes that you get overseas.
    Very accurate. No complaints and I have a stash to last me a few yrs😆
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Pretty well covered already but when I was building up my 284 I acquired 1 can of RL17 - that was all the shop had. After reading a few alarming reports on forums about shortening barrel life (can't believe everything you read of forums but there seemed to be a reasonable amount of evidence), I returned the can and swapped for ADI. As already said ADI is generally always available notwithstanding the 2206H shortage last year.
    Ignoring the barrel life issue I just couldn't see the sense in doing load development only to then not be able to get more RL17. I usually don't just buy one can of powder on its own - buy several of the same lot, but RL17 was just not available in quantity.

R93
    I forgot to say if it is a barrel burner, which I doubt. It is not a worry for me as I will be dead before it is an issue as I only use it in a hunting load.
    shooternz likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I find my 284 likes adi 2213sc, couldn't tell you speeds but 140 gr gamekings are one large hole at 100meters.

got some RL17 to try with 162 amax when I get bored.

N550 is rocket fuel with 120gn slugs in my 25yrs old .284, 3350 and good hunting accuracy. Best performance with 140s has always come from a case-full of WW ball powder, currently 780. Mine has the standard short-throat and no doubt gives different results compared to that obtainable from long action conversions.

Quote Originally Posted by killroy View Post
    N550 is rocket fuel with 120gn slugs in my 25yrs old .284, 3350 and good hunting accuracy. Best performance with 140s has always come from a case-full of WW ball powder, currently 780. Mine has the standard short-throat and no doubt gives different results compared to that obtainable from long action conversions.
    Have you tried the N550 with 140gn projectiles? When I got my .284 I got a can of RL17, but now its running out I can't seem to find any anywhere, so am looking at other powders. Have heard that H4350 is also good. Any .284 users tried that?

Without to much of a thread steal has anyone used the Berger 140gn VLD Hunting projectiles on deer?