Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Timmay
  • 1 Post By Skitsokiwi
  • 2 Post By PERRISCICABA
  • 3 Post By PERRISCICABA
  • 2 Post By Timmay

Thread: RUGER PRECISION RIFLE AND RELOADS

RUGER PRECISION RIFLE AND RELOADS

I know many will or may say it is in the wrong thread but forgive me as i think it is pertinent.

I just start to shoot some Hornady ELD-M in my RPR and i start to look in to reload for it. I observed that the factory ammo fit very snug in the mag, so hence the question. If i do reload to "touch or be close" to the lands will it be a problem to magazine feed? Does anyone reload for this rifle yet?

Thank you in advance.

Mac

Unless you have the hornady Lock N load Comparator set up with the Modified cases etc you are flying blind with regards to "the lands"

Short answer have a play with seating depths depending on if you want the rounds to fit your mag or single feed (in a LR set up I see no problem with single feed)

Long answer is buy the above set up and have fun.
    WallyR likes this.

@PERRISCICABA The Pmags wont let you get anywhere near the lands, so single feeding is your only option in that regard. I got an AI Mag for mine, gets you there without modifying the blinder plate and feeds a lot smoother too. but like Timmay said you need the right tools to check, friend of mine made his own works like a charm will post up a picture of it if you'd like? cost him a faction of the cost to make too

Quote Originally Posted by Skitsokiwi View Post
    @PERRISCICABA The Pmags wont let you get anywhere near the lands, so single feeding is your only option in that regard. I got an AI Mag for mine, gets you there without modifying the blinder plate and feeds a lot smoother too. but like Timmay said you need the right tools to check, friend of mine made his own works like a charm will post up a picture of it if you'd like? cost him a faction of the cost to make too
    Hey @Skitsokiwi, thank you heaps for the info, I been looking at it and even source "one" in the US just need to find how to bring it over(dreaming). Did you bought yours locally? Can you PM me where if it is ok?
    I do have the Hornady comparator, I am just waiting for the modified case to arrive and other little things to start do the "right" thing. LOL!
    Thank you heaps for the input I will keep you guys updated about my finds, I haven't shot yet my latest hand loads so I still have another 100 rounds to play with and confirm my finds.

Cheers

Mac

I got mine from a member here. @tommygun has one for sale that should work I think, I was going to grab it if it was a double. http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...-%24100-28637/

I just sacrificed a case for mine, just need to make a hole in the base and thread it. Pretty easy if you have the right tools, probably could get a machine shop to do it for you if you didn't
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

Yep, the AccurateMag magazines that Ruger Scout rifle takes (which is where mine is from) is the same as the ones Ruger provide with the RPR, or at least that's what the importers told me.

Good morning everyone!
    Great news! Since I started this thread I finally put my hands on the modified case and the .260 comparator thing to measure my case length. What I was interested is what length or how far off the "lands/rifling" you guys shooting the RPR are getting a "better" accuracy, I am happy with what I am getting but I wish I cam improving it for the LR gong shooting.
    My results are:

Hornady ELD-M 140gr
    Bullet touching(jammed) in to the lands = 2.250"
    Bullet been actually seated for the magazine(PMag) length =2.210"
    Total jump 0.040"

I am sorry I haven't measure it "yet" via "base to tip" but if really necessary for a comparison I can do it.

Thank you in advance for the time to reply.

Cheers.

Mac

Photo bellow is the accuracy I can get when I do my part on the actual reload.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  175.9 KB
    Gibo and hthomas like this.

Good morning all!
    Quick update about my reloading question. since I start reload I seat the projectiles of fit the magazine, 2.210" ogive length on the Hornady comparator, I found later that I am jumping 0.040" too the lands/rifling and the accuracy I am getting is as follow:

My very first reload with the barrel not settled in yet (observe the 42gr load) with a velocity at the time of 2680ft/s average:

Views: 312
Size:  180.6 KB

The following shots was just yesterday with the same load achieving a better velocity of 2720ft/s avg.:

Views: 285
Size:  158.7 KB

I am not a good shooter but I quiet like the results I am getting.

Cheers.

Mac

That's pretty good shooting if you ask me Mac!

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

Nice mate. You should try a couple loaded to .005 of the lands i you haven't already, you might find it consistently shoots better - you may need to adjust your powder load - but you may find it doesnt make any difference.

Those are great groups anyway - only take the above advise if you like to tinker
    PERRISCICABA and WallyR like this.