Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: rule of 3

rule of 3

Name:  IMG_0613.JPG
Views: 531
Size:  2.79 MB

here she is in all its simplistic glory

copied from an old old mountain safety manual....might have been pinched from elsewhere for that.
    its not PERFECT.....but within reason it just works...pretty much any semi pointy projectile going 2700-3000fps ish just happens to work using this formula

bush hobbits like myself might prefer a 1-2" high at hundy zero.... but this just works
    nor-west, Brian, 308 and 6 others like this.

And back this up with a copy of Matt and Bruce Grant's "The Sharp Shooter" - what all we baby boomers learned from. It's a gem!
    Micky Duck and grandpamac like this.

Yup; always sighted the old three-oh and 270 in for 3" at a hundred! I think I learnt it from Rex Forrester's "Hunting in NZ" book. I read and re-read that book nightly! It cost me a princely $5 back in about 1979. A lot of money on an apprentice butchers wage of $48 a week gross.... My mum went nuts when she learnt how much it cost.... Not as nuts as she went about a year later when I bought a new Ruger M77 270 for $434 and paid it off weekly....

Name:  rex.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  89.4 KB
    Pengy, 10-Ring, Micky Duck and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    Yup; always sighted the old three-oh and 270 in for 3" at a hundred! I think I learnt it from Rex Forrester's "Hunting in NZ" book. I read and re-read that book nightly! It cost me a princely $5 back in about 1979. A lot of money on an apprentice butchers wage of $48 a week gross.... My mum went nuts when she learnt how much it cost.... Not as nuts as she went about a year later when I bought a new Ruger M77 270 for $434 and paid it off weekly....

Attachment 132980
    Two months wages for a hunting rifle ,thats steep man

Quote Originally Posted by muka88 View Post
    Us boomers had it easy apparently.
    nor-west, 10-Ring and timattalon like this.

That was what I used in my old Sako Finnbear 270 with 150 grain Hornady flat base bullets 55 grains of H4831sc guessed speed of 2800 fps from the reloading book, once you couldnt see legs of deer it was 400 yards plus so you got closer.
    bumblefoot and Micky Duck like this.

I was saying to a mate the other day how inexpensive rifles are now. My first centrefire was an 8x57 WW2 Mauser. Cost me $70. When I bought the Ruger I paid a deposit (probably about $50), took it home from Sutherland Sports in New Plymouth, and every Friday night went up to NP to make another payment on it. The receipts all stapled in a little cardboard book each time. I don't think that would happen today ha ha That would have been about 1982 when I bought the Ruger.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    here she is in all its simplistic glory
    And it works at most hunting ranges.....

works at most ranges if you are a chest shooting/hilar area type of person.....the whole 8" kill zone thing goes over head of some folk,the best way Ive heard it describes is a bit like this...

the vital kill zone of a deer is a bit bigger than 8" round...think soccer ball
    you have an imaginary drain pipe between yourself and the deers vitals...that pipe is 8 1/2" in diameter.........
    the absolute most range you can shoot a deer through that pipe is the range you can sight rifle in so projectile doesnt hit the top of pipe along the way.....
    now thinking along those lines look back at the chart....
    bumblefoot and Ranger 888 like this.

Greetings All,
    What a blast from the past. It's hardly surprising that we boomers regard, with some amusement, the younger generations sighting in dead on at 100 and dialing for everything beyond that. Gary Joll in his 1968 book gives drops for a 200 yard zero for a range of cartridges then in use. My copy cost $3.00 shortly after it was published. My first centre fire rifle was a Parker Hale converted no 1 Lee Enfield with a new barrel which cost $29.50 about 1968. The first new rifle was a Remington 700 ADL in .308 W that cost $243.00 in about 1976. A few years earlier we had bought our first house for $9,000.00. The .308 is still here but the .303 and house were sold years ago.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    10-Ring, Mooseman and bumblefoot like this.

Gary Joll's "Big Game Hunting in NZ" book was the next one I bought after Rex Forrester's!

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    My first centre fire rifle was a Parker Hale converted no 1 Lee Enfield with a new barrel which cost $29.50 about 1968.
    I remember seeing 303 Jungle carbines listed from a surplus store in the back of one of dad's monthly farming mags. Probably about 1978-ish. They were new and $26 each.... They also listed WW2 Brit army packages with gas mask, helmet etc all included. Also ex-Vietnam war US Army Alice-packs. They cost $22 and I was trying to save for one by possum trapping on the farm. Never saved enough for it......

By the time I bought my Ruger M77 in 1990 they were down to 4 weeks wages (Paid $900 second hand and was earning $225 per week... with 3 hours OT each week) Sold it to my brother a few years later to pay for a house when I got married, then he sold it back to me last year....
    bumblefoot likes this.

My Finnwolf cost me $240 back in 1973.
    Had saved to buy a BAR but by the time I had the $$ saved it was sold so the Finnwolf was next choice ( being a ‘lefty’)

Slightly off thread, but we boomers had it easy..I recall going into my local police station in school uniform in about 1963 and telling the cop at the desk I wanted a permit to buy a .22 rifle ( no FAL required in those days!). He grunted "whaddya want it for, sonny?" "Shooting rabbits" says I, a quaver in my voice..and he wrote out and handed me the permit!
    10-Ring, bumblefoot, rewa and 1 others like this.