Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Seating depth for Blaser

Seating depth for Blaser

Hi Blaser owners what is the best way to work out your seating depth on these rifles. I used to always seated a projectile way out (loose fit) then close the bolt jamming it in the lands. But find it quite hard to do this with the Blaser, so any ideas.

K95
    Hornady and Sinclair Int. both make seating depth gauges which give a rough idea.
    "Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.”

R93
    I just use a cleaning rod.
    Mark on the rod at muzzle end against the bolt face. Remove barrel, insert projectile, run the rod to the tip of the projectile and mark again at the muzzle end.

Not as accurate as doing it off the ogive but you will find it a good starting point for the blasers as you may not get good results close to the lands.

If your running a factory barrel I would start by seating 50 thou off the lands.
    Every cal I have had, shot shit when seated close to lands and shot mint with a heap of jump.

My custom barrels also like a bit of jump but not as much as the factory barrels.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Blaser likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I just use a cleaning rod.
    Mark on the rod at muzzle end against the bolt face. Remove barrel, insert projectile, run the rod to the tip of the projectile and mark again at the muzzle end.

Not as accurate as doing it off the ogive but you will find it a good starting point for the blasers as you may not get good results close to the lands.

If your running a factory barrel I would start by seating 50 thou off the lands.
    Every cal I have had shot shit when seated close to lands and shot mint with a heap of jump.

My custom barrels also like a bit of jump but not as much as the factory barrels.

Thanks for that, I used the cleaning rod method tonight as that was also a method I used to used. 1 barrel is factory .222 and the other is a Hardy .260.

R93
    I would start where you want because they could go well close but if they don't shoot, you have an idea what could be wrong.

I have loaded for 3 blasers other than my own and all liked being close to 50 thou jump.
    I don't really know why but they all shoot better than ya need for a hunting rifle so not to worried trying to find a reason.

Last edited by R93; 05-10-2015 at 08:21 PM.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Never yet had a Blaser want to shoot anywhere near the lands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    R93 likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

That's good makes it nice and easy
    R93 likes this.

I agree they seem to like a bit of jump.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08IMP View Post
    Thanks for that, I used the cleaning rod method tonight as that was also a method I used to used. 1 barrel is factory .222 and the other is a Hardy .260.
    Did Hardy mate it to an existing barrel receiver? What do they charge for that?

My 3 barrels like a 40 Thou plus jump as well.

The Hornady OAL Gauge works well, if you have access to one.

In the case of the .222 the case actually ramps off the shoulder and if the projectile is seated too long it butts in to the chamber face before it has ramped up enough to get into the chamber. I found this with the 52Gn A-Max.

Jit
    I've a 7mm rem mag R8 looking to improve my berger 168 hybrid classic hunters to group better than .5. What's the advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Jit View Post
    I've a 7mm rem mag R8 looking to improve my berger 168 hybrid classic hunters to group better than .5. What's the advice?
    If it's shooting half inch I wouldn't bother messing with it.
    kiwijames and R93 like this.

LJP
    Just load to Mag length. For some Bizarre reason my Blaser shoots best at just fit I the magazine & that's with something like a 50thou+ jump
    kiwijames likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jit View Post
    Do you mean it's shooting .5 groups now and you want it smaller or you want to get it too .5?

I think for most people the difference between a MOA group and a 1/2MOA group is their shooting, not the ammo.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LJP View Post
    Just load to Mag length. For some Bizarre reason my Blaser shoots best at just fit I the magazine & that's with something like a 50thou+ jump
    My R93 7mmMag magazine is unversal up to 7STW. If I had it all the way the pill would fall out
    Not so for the 7-08, kept trying to go long and rubbed the rubber bumper at the front too much. FWIW I dont think seating dept has ever made f-all difference. The last loads that I had which were a touch too long in the mag I just seated them in another 0.02" and it still shot exactly the same. Lazy aye, I love it.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds