Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Selecting bushing type dies and neck tension

Selecting bushing type dies and neck tension

Wondering who is using these and what have you found works best with regards to neck tension? Heard recommendations from 0.001 to 0.003 inches smaller than the diameter of a loaded case. Anyone have any experience with what you've found to be best?
    Every day is leg day.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Redding Type-S with Wilson bushes in every calibre I have. Try Workshop Innovations. Couldn't think of a better way to neck size. Im using about 0.001-2" depending on brass. Even at 0.001" I cannot budge a pill in the neck by hand so would be too worried to go there. There will be a little spring-back after sizing so I'd allow to go closer to 0.002" than 0.001".
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

What he said

Thanks, mostly worried about the projectiles moving under recoil in the mag. Workshop innovations don't seem to have the die that I want or the bushing size that I was looking at, so I might try getting it shipped in.
    Yeah I was leaning more towards 0.002 or maybe even 0.003, just don't know how much is too much.
    Every day is leg day.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleDave View Post
    Thanks, mostly worried about the projectiles moving under recoil in the mag. Workshop innovations don't seem to have the die that I want or the bushing size that I was looking at, so I might try getting it shipped in.
    Yeah I was leaning more towards 0.002 or maybe even 0.003, just don't know how much is too much.
    Haven't noticed any bullet slippage with 0.002" in a rifle with reasonable recoil eg. .308 7mm/08 etc. Depends on the brass and it's condition though. Like kiwijames, I use the Wilson bushings in the Redding Type-S die. Find them better than the Redding bushings.

If Workshop Innovation is out of stock try Deadeye Dicks.

2 tho for me no problems yet

Can the Wilson bushings be turned around for a 1 thou difference?

Thanks, I have been looking at the wilson bushings and they seem a little bit more versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo View Post
    I think I saw somewhere 0.0003 - 0.0005 which is about 0.3 - 0.5 thousandths.
    I always curse contraptions that require me to work things out in imperial, they hurt my brain.
    Every day is leg day.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo View Post
    Yes

I use Wilson dies with Wilson bushes for most cartridges. One thou under 80% neck turned loaded cartridge diameter for 7mmRemMag which has significant recoil and I've never found the bullets shift in the cases in the magazine. But I do rotate the cartridges in the magazine so that I don't end up with one or two cartridges going through the recoil cycle several times before firing. Also, I anneal the cases every two shots, so they maintain a good grip on the bullet. If fired a few times, the case necks work harden and don't grip so well unless the bush is changed for a smaller one. I use Wilson bushes because they can be turned over for a slightly smaller size if needed (e.g., work hardening necks or necks that have not been turned at all).

So if you order a Wilson bushing of say 0.310 you can turn it around and use it as a 0.309

eg. What ever you order from Wilson it also does 1 thou under?

Yes, and if you are looking offshore try here

http://brtshooterssupply.com.au/cate...-bushings.html
    zimmer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    Yes, and if you are looking offshore try here

http://brtshooterssupply.com.au/cate...-bushings.html
    Highly recommended. Have bought a lot of reloading stuff from Annie and Stuart over the last 18 months. Virtually replaced all my Redding Comp dies with Wilson inline. Plus a sprinkling of 21st Century gear. With Oz gst removed and including shipping I have on most occasions landed stuff cheaper than any NZ prices. No longer bother ex USA where shipping is the ripoff.
    johnd likes this.

@zimmer have you tried the wilson full length sizing dies?

Curious to know if anyone has any experience with the Forster Bushing Bump Die? Does it differ in operation to a full length sizing die?
    Every day is leg day.