Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By 7mmsaum
  • 1 Post By scotty

Thread: Sellier and bellot brass

Sellier and bellot brass

Starting afresh in W.A quite a process getting a firearms license, but anyway have 3 new rifles arriving shortly, going to break in the barrels at the local range, S&B is cheapest ammo available here whats the brass like to reload? Do I need to get Lapua or Norma brass straight up (and pay a premium) or use the S&B for load development..

Thanks Jeff

Caretaker
    The S&B is great brass for reloading

Very uniform and well made

Go ahead and use it with confidence
    nor-west, m101a1 and caberslash like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

and I HATED it with a passion in the .308 BLR it was harder than hobs of hell and really took some force when FL resizing...threw it away in tussock after shooting it.

Greetings @nor-west,
    First do your load development in the same brass that you will use for your hunting loads, it is a waste of time and components otherwise. Second weigh your S&B cases before starting. I recently weighed Winchester and Hornady cases at 167-168 grains unprimed but GFL cases (Fiocchi?} cases weighed 187 grains. US military cases, LC79 and LC81 weighed 177 grains. All weights are averages without primer and are .308 cases. Heavier cases have less capacity so produce slightly higher velocity and pressure so are likely to string vertically so mixed cases are likely to have poorer groups. This is something I will test soon.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    and I HATED it with a passion in the .308 BLR it was harder than hobs of hell and really took some force when FL resizing....
    +1 for their 8x57 and 6.5x55...... ended up going down the norma and/or ppu (which was way cheaper) stuff
    Micky Duck likes this.