Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree230Likes

Thread: Seriously underrated 6.5x47 Lapua

Seriously underrated 6.5x47 Lapua

I have been having a blast shooting Creedmoor for the last year or so and have tested the crap out of that little cartridge to the point I feel it was time to move to something else to keep me entertained.

I have been thrashing my Desert Tech with a new .308 barrel I made up for it and its been fun shooting the .308 again, I hadnt shot it in years and it still hasnt lost its hard hitting charm. I have shifted to shooting the heavier 175gr TMKs from 150 and 168gr in previous rifles Ive owned and I have to say Ill never look back. Getting 2610fps from a 21" Trueflight match 1-10" twist I chambered with a 95 Palma match reamer it shoots some of the smallest sub .5" groups Ive ever shot in .308win.

@Flyblown fire forming some new Lapua .308 Palma Match brass for me on the 100y range

While it is fun and does everything I ask of it, it is a cal I first started shooting with, hunting with and competing with, its predictably boring and feels like a very old relationship.
    I worked up a ridiculously accurate load in about 20 mins and 15 shots in total with a couple of different powders 8208 and 2208 (BM 8208 was new to me in this cal) which just confirmed just how much time Ive spent with this cal before the 6.5 bug bit and challenged everything I thought I knew about reloading and ballistics.

So I wanted to make a new barrel that will become my "go to work horse".
    When I moved from .308win to 6.5 I was tossing up between 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5x47 Lapua for quite a while but after lots of online research (my first mistake) and seeing there was a shortage of Redding 6.5x47 dies at the time, in fact the the deciding strike was that none of the usual exporters in the states had them in stock, I went with Creedmoor by default.

Some of you followed my Creedmoor journey but to cut a long story short, I still really wanted to build a X47 Lapua.
    So.. With a big thanks to @graeme for retiring from F class shooting this year and selling me his 6.5X47 Trueflite match barrel and bucket of Lapua brass for up cycling to fit my Desert Tech.
    It was a low use 30" long 1-1/4" 1-8" twist that had the first 6" turned to a step-down for the target stock mounting block which had to be cut off to use the full dia with the clamping system of the desert tech. this gave me 24" to work with which in x47 Lapua standards is quite short but I knew what I could get out of a 20" Creedmoor so 24" was definitely right where I wanted to be for this project.

Here's the truck axle along side my 21" .308 barrel

Got to work on it, cut the rear 6" off and had a heap of meet taken off to match the factory Desert Tech profile.

I re-threaded it for the DTA barrel extension nut,threaded it for a suppressor and chambered it with one of Dave Mansons match reamers before dropping it off to @DPT for @Friwi to work his lightening magic cutting some flutes in it for me. Looks great mate, thanks again.

The growing 6.5 Family: .260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x47 Lapua and 6.5 Grendel

Load development to come.
    muzr257, R93, Rich007 and 9 others like this.

Banned
    Easy to under rate perfection Starting to build my new one now on another Sako 75.
    Creeper likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Ill be going 6.5x47 once 260 barrel on my abolt is shagged i think fine little round it appears
    Tussock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by quadhunter260 View Post
    Ill be going 6.5x47 once 260 barrel on my abolt is shagged i think fine little round it appears
    A very easy mod to just re-chamber the existing barrel as long as the throat and bore is in good condition, the 6.5x47 is a straighter wall than the .260 and has a longer neck and 30 deg shoulder so will clean up your .260 chamber with only about 3.5mm trimmed off the thread and pushed forward on the threads shoulder.

I have never pushed my .260s to their limits but by design they do best with higher charges of slow burning powders like 2213SC and longer 26" barrels. The shorter powder column 6.5x47 Lapua matches it and over takes it without even trying with a lot less powder and much shorter barrels.
    My current x47 load uses 3gr less of the same powder as my hot end Creedmoor load did using the same projectile and gets 500fps+ more than the Creedmoor without any high pressure signs. It is the pinnacle of efficiency with 123gr to 140gr bullets in this line up of 6.5 cartridges.
    Puffin, GWH, Moa Hunter and 1 others like this.

ok I will ask a dumb question here....what happens if you do that same/similar alteration to a swede???? sharpen up the shoulder angle and straighten out the walls... so a 6.5x55mm imp

Whilst that rifle is very cool is it not a pain in the ass to shoot repeated rounds? Seems you would have to move away from the scope/take your elbow off the ground every time you work the bolt? Just curious.. I keep coming back to this thread to look at it haha
    BRADS likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Ive never owned a 6.5x55AI and personally not a fan of long actions but a few F class shooters run that cal. There is one for sale on trademe now. It is much like the 260rem and 260 AI.. likes slow powders and long barrels. The .260 has the edge IMO as it has better small rifle primer match brass available so can cope with higher pressure loads without burning out brass/primer pockets.
    Take a look at 6.5x55 in any reloading manual and you will see its max velocities come from slow powders and they are still nothing amazing.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
    Ive never owned a 6.5x55AI and personally not a fan of long actions but a few F class shooters run that cal. There is one for sale on trademe now. It is much like the 260rem and 260 AI.. likes slow powders and long barrels. The .260 has the edge IMO as it has better small rifle primer match brass available so can cope with higher pressure loads without burning out brass/primer pockets.
    Take a look at 6.5x55 in any reloading manual and you will see its max velocities come from slow powders and they are still nothing amazing.
    6.5x55 is hamstrung in all the manuals and factory loaders because of all the old actions that could shit themselves with a proper load, loaded hard in a modern action the Swede has legs that would astonish you as is breezes past the tiddler 6.5 cartridges
    dogmatix, muzr257, tetawa and 6 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    6.5x55 is hamstrung in all the manuals and factory loaders because of all the old actions that could shit themselves with a proper load, loaded hard in a modern action the Swede has legs that would astonish you as is breezes past the tiddler 6.5 cartridges
    Ive heard that story a lot but yet to see any truth in the theory. While it was only one rifle, I did some load development for a mates x55 with a 24" barrel and it showed pressure signs consistent with loading manual data.
    Last edited by Wingman; 23-02-2019 at 07:50 PM.
    BRADS and Gibo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Whilst that rifle is very cool is it not a pain in the ass to shoot repeated rounds? Seems you would have to move away from the scope/take your elbow off the ground every time you work the bolt? Just curious.. I keep coming back to this thread to look at it haha
    Nah it operates just like any other bolt action once you re used to it and you dont need to lift your head or elbow.. I have used bullpups for years and prefer them so a std rifle feels more foreign to me.. I often go looking for the bolt too far back

Have a quick search on youtube to see them in action.
    I will have it in the field this week for hopefully some soft target tests and plan to do some video work so will make a point to demonstrate this.

Heres a newbie behind one being about as clumsy as any newbie gets..

https://youtu.be/GTKrPB6u1UM

Banned
    Ive heard that story a lot but yet to see any truth in the theory. I did some load development for a mates x55 with a 24" barrel and it showed pressure signs consistent with loading manual data.
    Which powder?
    Creeper likes this.

Ive heard that story a lot but yet to see any truth in the theory. While it was only one rifle, I did some load development for a mates x55 with a 24" barrel and it showed pressure signs consistent with loading manual data.
    My 6.5x55 has a 21.5" barrel and with 140 Amax and N560 consistently chronos at 2840. So I guess it is rifle dependent. The first 6.5x47 I recall was @gimp 's, I think on a Sako75. He shot all sorts of stuff with it. Hell, the man himself might even come on and tell us about it.

It's fine get a 6.5CM instead it makes more sense now

Banned
    The velocity you get from the TINY 6.5x47L cartridge from a short barrel is extraordinary. Mine would put one round inside a 1cm dot without touching the edges, from a cold barrel every day. I did it for a few weeks before I got bored of it. Back when my range was behind the house I would walk up, fire one round, walk home. My only problem with my 2209 load was velocity spread, which was a bit of a non-issue as I never shot strings.

Lapua put serious thought into the round and it shows.

Shot a lot of rabbits at over 400m with that rifle and deer and Tahr to 550m. I would not have shot the 550m Tahr but I thought it was one I shot at 400m that was wounded, so I ended up with two.

My new one will also be on a Sako 75 but this time a sporter weight. I bought a barrel from Gimp because he ordered the wrong contour and ended up with a semi varmint barrel, sort of. Once my pretty 75 laminate channel was cut for it I was stuck with it. Made the rifle heavy and un-balanced but man did it shoot. I used to sight in in two rounds then knock all the drawing pins out of the paper. I cut that barrel from 26" to 20" with no loss of velocity.

2810ft/sec with 140 Amax over 2209/Federal small rifle magnum primers.

This one will get a 20" barrel in the original factory contour and a DPT muzzle forward can.

I still had 6kg of 2209 and thousands of magnum primers till last week when I brought my gear home and my wife helped me unload. We were in a hurry and my 2209 ended up sitting inside a car next to a window and baked like a potato. I assume its cactus. Was hot to the touch and stunk to high heaven.

Anyone want 6kg of ADI22something?
    Creeper likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    It's fine get a 6.5CM instead it makes more sense now
    I thought you gave up shooting?

Why does more barrel for the same velocity make more sense? Are are you framing this within your own preferences? We have known you a while and which ever way your preferences are swinging, this is the advice you give, and these preferences are prone to extreme reversals.
    Last edited by Tussock; 23-02-2019 at 08:29 PM.
    Creeper likes this.