Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Arsenal

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: shooting soft cast and jacketed bullets

shooting soft cast and jacketed bullets

do using soft cast lead and supersonic jacketed projectiles straight after each other cause accuracy problems . thinking of having some cast lead subsonic rounds loaded for the 223 to use if i come across rabbits when out hunting larger animals .i seem to come across rabbits when hunting edges of farmland and they always run in the direction i am hunting all agitated spooking every thing else so was thinking of a nice quiet sub load to fix this problem but thought that the soft lead may cause accuracy problems with the normal load and yes i realise getting a sub load that shoots to the same vertical plane as a full power load is not a given.

I hunt, therefore I am.
    Generally I'd say yes - the fouling is different. (Pb vs Cu) The general advice is to shoot 5-10 rounds at any ammo change, to make sure they're riding their own groove and going where they should.

Gas-checked cast bullets would clean out the grooves as they went, and being coppered, more likely to keep consistent fouling.

NB: just repeating hearsay here, I've no experience doing it.
    Klhari likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by 308
    not smart enough to be useful
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

Try it and find out...

never shoot jacketed after cast unless you clean first.

idea was if i walk up on a rabbit was just change over to a sub round shoot it quietly then change over to full noise round for bigger game. dont see the point in wasting exspensive projectiles on a sub load just for a rascally rabbit.

I hunt, therefore I am.
    Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    idea was if i walk up on a rabbit was just change over to a sub round shoot it quietly then change over to full noise round for bigger game. dont see the point in wasting exspensive projectiles on a sub load just for a rascally rabbit.
    Yeah I got that.
    55 SPs (jacketed) of your favourite flavour will tip Bugs over no problem. Probably going to see plenty pass-throughs, but as long as they pass through the right bit...
    There's also a few choices of lighter projectile for .22 hornet which are more oriented to varminting at lower speeds. Not sure how they compare price wise to a gas-checked cast HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by 308
    not smart enough to be useful
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

I interchange between cast and normal quite a bit and there is no problem
    Be aware of lead residue build up with lots of cast bullets shot in a row but otherwise Iv seen no problems in both 44,308 and 300 blk
    Pengy, Micky Duck, berg243 and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    I interchange between cast and normal quite a bit and there is no problem
    Be aware of lead residue build up with lots of cast bullets shot in a row but otherwise Iv seen no problems in both 44,308 and 300 blk
    As above I too fire cast then jacketed in the 45-70 without cleaning between, with no decrease in accuracy, or increases in pressure.
    Micky Duck and berg243 like this.

I had leading issues with cast bullets out of my 6x45 so I powder coated the cast bullets. They probably leave the bore cleaner than when I start shooting and don't cause issues with shooting other bullets afterwards - usually GS Custom copper bullets.
    berg243 likes this.

never thought of powder coating . not sure how fiddly that would be but a nice bright powder coated bullet would eliminate mix ups.

Quote Originally Posted by omark View Post
    never shoot jacketed after cast unless you clean first.
    @omark... why?
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    @omark... why?
    because if you get lead build fouling (from using undersized or inadequately lubed bullets and then use a jacketed bullet without cleaning (and removing bad lead fowling) you can get pressure spikes. Pretty rare for it to happen but not worth the risk.

Have you given the projectiles you are currently using a go at sub speeds . They may work , as for rabbits an expanding projectile is not all that important ?.
    timattalon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    never thought of powder coating . not sure how fiddly that would be but a nice bright powder coated bullet would eliminate mix ups.
    It's probably frowned upon by seasoned bullet casters but works fine for me.

Shake the bullets around in a properly closed ice cream container with a teaspoon or so of powder. Then place in oven on greaseproof paper in a baking tray at 200deg plus for 10 min. I seal off the baking tray with tin foil as the powder coating really stinks. Then run the bullets through the sizer. I'm sizing .257 bullets down to .244 so have been using Lee liquid alox as lube but something like WD40 is reputed to work well and be less messy, especially if not sizing bullets down much.
    timattalon and berg243 like this.

Using pure lead cast bullets then powder coating will give you the speed and expansion you need plus no leading.
    berg243 likes this.