Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Arsenal

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By TeRei
  • 1 Post By veitnamcam
  • 1 Post By Tahr
  • 3 Post By Tahr

Thread: Sierra 64gr Tipped Game King aka Game Changer .223

Sierra 64gr Tipped Game King aka Game Changer .223

Does.... or has.... anyone used or loaded the Sierra 64gr Tipped Game King ( aka Game Changer) in a .223 ?

I picked some up on Friday to give a whirl.....all part of exploring the best load and stabilisation of different projectiles in my Remington 22 inch barrel 1 in 9 twist .223

My Lee Loading book gives a lot of data for 63gr and 65gr but only two entries for the 64gr and then at a lesser velocity than both the 63gr and 65gr.

Is there anything special about the 64gr ?

Anyones experience with these projectiles would be greatfully received.

Cheers
    Phil

use the 65grn data and you will be fine....
    jakewire, veitnamcam and Phil_H like this.

If the 64gr can beat the 65gr I will[choke] vote for Mrs Ed. Unlikely to happen.The 65gr is easily the best 223 hunting projectile on the market closely followed by the 55gr Barnes.
    Phil_H likes this.

On paper the 64gr edges out the 65gr though, there is little or nothing in it.
    I bought the 64gr as it was a matter of grabbing what was left on the shelf.....there isn't a lot of choice and getting more scarce.
    Also been looking at some Nosler 70gr Accubonds as they are still available and also look good on paper.....a little spendy though.

Whats your load for the 65gr and length and twist of your barrel? The load could be a good place to start with the 64gr, though then the next problem....do I have the right powder and if not can I still buy that.

Cheers
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    I bought the 64gr as it was a matter of grabbing what was left on the shelf.....there isn't a lot of choice and getting more scarce.
    Also been looking at some Nosler 70gr Accubonds as they are still available and also look good on paper.....a little spendy though.

Whats your load for the 65gr and length and twist of your barrel? The load could be a good place to start with the 64gr, though then the next problem....do I have the right powder and if not can I still buy that.

Cheers
    Phil
    I run the 65gr game king and 2206h, 2208 will also go well or most powders in that burn rate range should work.
    Phil_H likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Cheers
    Phil
    Ive loaded some 70 accubonds and they shot well. 2206H. Maybe because they are harder I had to reduce my 69 grn Sierra tipped load for them. Haven't tried them on an animal.
    Phil_H likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I run the 65gr game king and 2206h, 2208 will also go well or most powders in that burn rate range should work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Ive loaded some 70 accubonds and they shot well. 2206H. Maybe because they are harder I had to reduce my 69 grn Sierra tipped load for them. Haven't tried them on an animal.
    Yes, as I suspected, 2206h and 2208 are not available.....at least not the places I shop at currently.

I have secured one box of 50 Accubonds - they are down to one per customer as well now - and also secured a bottle of H4895 which ADI list as an AR2206H equivalent. I still have some AR2206H left but want to keep that for my .308 125gr Accubonds in a load that I know works well. So all in all a bit of load development and range time ahead of me.

Cheers
    Phil

Yes, as I suspected, 2206h and 2208 are not available.....at least not the places I shop at currently.

I have secured one box of 50 Accubonds - they are down to one per customer as well now - and also secured a bottle of H4895 which ADI list as an AR2206H equivalent. I still have some AR2206H left but want to keep that for my .308 125gr Accubonds in a load that I know works well. So all in all a bit of load development and range time ahead of me.

Cheers
    Phil
    I know powder has arrived (adi) finally in here in the top of south so it should be in stock down your way now or soon.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Cheers
    Phil
    I interchange H4895 with 2206 no problem. Same stuff. Maybe a bit different burning rate as is common with different lot numbers but so long as you are not loading on the margin you will be fine.

Nothing wrong with trying different projectiles. Regardless of what is said there are many .223 projectiles that will bring them down as good as anything. Deer still die even if the bullet doesn't happen to be a forum member's favourite
    Last edited by Tahr; 12-04-2021 at 06:32 PM.
    nor-west, Dama dama and Micky Duck like this.