Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Sierra Game King for everything?

Sierra Game King for everything?

Thinking to reload the 150 gr or the 165 SBT Game Kings for my new 308, using Belmont 748 (because I still have some, and it worked ok so far).
    This would be a do everything load.

The question for those who used this projectile is:
    What is the max distance of reliable expansion? Is it giving a good blood trail?

Don't want to go compressed so will probably max out around 2700, 20" 1 in 10 twist.
    Target species are sika and red.

Thanks
    BF
    Last edited by Boar Freak; 05-12-2016 at 11:07 AM.
    Nothing is tough about having a 70 lb bow and looking like an uncoordinated praying mantis while trying to draw it back.

Good reliable bullet. I use the 165 in my 300 saum @ 2.9k Pass through and good expansion at 250 yards. With your speeds I would be confident out to 450 yards.

Have also used the 140 grn in 6.5. They were great at all practical ranges.

If you can't kill animals with a Sierra GK you will never kill them. Very under rated. I admire that they have stuck to a proven design and not gone plastic pointy.
    7mmsaum and Pengy like this.

I use the 165's in my Sako 75 308
    I'm a bush hunter, not long range, and everything it has been pointed at has hit the deck
    7mmsaum likes this.

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Know...7.62+NATO.html they are noted by Nathan Foster as having a narrower window for acceptable terminal performance compared to say SST. I loaded them for a while and found them super accurate. Holes in holes from my rem 700 pig in 308 at 100m, especially if you set em up on the lands. I wanted increased speed and energy so I went lighter and moved to sst myself. Never used em on meat so can't say.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

They are really just lumps of lead and copper forced together in some sort of press. A good basic value for money bullet. We make it all pretty damned complicated.
    They work really well for ordinary people.

GWH
    In my experience the soft point game kings are very accurate and un-fussy bullets in any cal. And seem to perform very well from up close out to sensible hunting ranges, say 500 odd yards.

Reasonable price too.

I tipped over a decent sized red stag at 40 yards on the run with a 150 sgk flung from my 7Saum at 3k early Sunday morning, and he went less than 10 meters, tumbling end for end back down the waterfall he was running up when I shot him.

Good bullets.
    7mmsaum and sako75 like this.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    .308 Winchester (7.62 NATO) they are noted by Nathan Foster as having a narrower window for acceptable terminal performance compared to say SST. I loaded them for a while and found them super accurate. Holes in holes from my rem 700 pig in 308 at 100m, especially if you set em up on the lands. I wanted increased speed and energy so I went lighter and moved to sst myself. Never used em on meat so can't say.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    It's on the internet, so it must be true.......
    veitnamcam likes this.

The hollowpoint version of the 165 bt is pretty outstanding as well, drops a bit more than the sp does but to 300 m its not significant

Thanks guys. Will grab a couple of boxes and see how it goes.
    Nothing is tough about having a 70 lb bow and looking like an uncoordinated praying mantis while trying to draw it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    They are really just lumps of lead and copper forced together in some sort of press. A good basic value for money bullet. We make it all pretty damned complicated.
    They work really well for ordinary people.
    +1 Too many people complicate it to much. Heaps of projectiles all work rather well. Long as its accrurate out of your rifle it prob do the job more than not. Never got my head around people looking for projectiles that give good blood trails to follow. Not sure where they aiming for but ive never worry about hoping for a blood trail. Boom and its dead or goes 20 yards they down. if im looking for a blood trail for any distance at all ive pulled off a bad shot. Front shoulder and chest neck region and Bobs your uncle. No blood trail to worry about, its down. and thats using little old 100grs(243) plus the standard 150 ,165 in 308.
    GWH likes this.

Most stand cup and core bullets require 1800 fps at point of impact to expand properly just find out the distance that your load drops to that velocity and you have max recommended range
    Feral likes this.

Hate to be negative but I struggle to see how nathan foster could have tested every bullet known to man on deer and pigs. Not goats. Then surely you would need to shoot at least 100 animals (say reds) with each bullet from different angles to get any idea of performance??
    keneff likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginga View Post
    Hate to be negative but I struggle to see how nathan foster could have tested every bullet known to man on deer and pigs. Not goats. Then surely you would need to shoot at least 100 animals (say reds) with each bullet from different angles to get any idea of performance??
    Pretty sure that he relies on feedback form other hunters and not just personal experience. Just saying
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

I guess.

Well I have and currently use them in .270, .22-250, .243, 6.5x.284 and will be loading up some .300 Blaser Magnum.

I have found them to be reliable on anything from rabbits to goats, fallow, reds and pig.

I'm no expert or marksman but have been reliable so I'll continue to use...