Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Small Rifle primers

Small Rifle primers

I'm just about to start loading a 6.5 Grendel.

What's a "magnum" small rifle primer and when would you use one ?

Are some sort of primers better ie more reliable, consistent, better ignition, higher quality in some way ?
    "Match" "Bench Rest " ??

Any I should avoid for hunting ?

If anyone has advice what's good, easy to source, easy to use, gold standard fare - i 'll listen !

`Just use standard small rifle primers what ever brand is easiest to source no need to get all up tight for a hunting rifle
    might be worth while for Benchrest or target shooting to ring the smallest group out of your gear don't think you would notice
    any difference in a hunting rig.

What Shooternz said, but I will add that Federals tend to be softer in the cup metal so easier to ignite, and hotter in their ignition, than say CCI. I dont now how I know this but it is way back in the deep recesses of my mind. It was true for pistol primers and why most everyone that had a lightened trigger on their revolver used Feds.

I would use what you use already if you have confidence in it.

I fell into a wee trap, was using CCI in a .222 but when I got the Creedmore it came with a recipe using Feds......... so now I run both but in different guns.
    To save sourcing two different brands all the time I should just drop one lot and redevelop a load.

R93
    I put a lightened hammer spring in my revolver that previously had no issues with cci primers.
    I had to change to Federal primers as only 1 or 2 in a cylinder would go.
    I have since found murom primers work in it as well.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I use Federal match small primers in Palma brass and only had good experiences with them so far.
    johnd and Cyclops like this.

Bos
    Have been a CCI convert in .222 and .270 since the winchester primers cratered the .270 bolt face. No problems in either calibre ever since.
    Puffin likes this.

If you want all the guff on small rifle primers in larger cases go to this well-researched article (and if you are interested, go on to the next two parts):
    file:///Users/Adam/Desktop/rifle%20primer%20test/Small%20Rifle%20Primer%20Performance%20in%20the%20 308%20‘Palma’%20Case%20(Part1)%20by%20Laurie%20Hol land%20%7C%20Target%20Shooter%20Ma.webarchive

Quote Originally Posted by rupert View Post
    If you want all the guff on small rifle primers in larger cases go to this well-researched article (and if you are interested, go on to the next two parts):
    file:///Users/Adam/Desktop/rifle%20primer%20test/Small%20Rifle%20Primer%20Performance%20in%20the%20 308%20‘Palma’%20Case%20(Part1)%20by%20Laurie%20Hol land%20%7C%20Target%20Shooter%20Ma.webarchive
    I think you're trying to link a file that's on your desktop. Got a web address?

Sent from my WAS-LX2 using Tapatalk

F or S: you are quite right. The web address for the first part of the article is: Web Site and Server Hosting by Serversure, Sheffield, UK
    But this address would not open for a variety of reasons - maybe later.

Thank you all for your good advice here.

I think I'll start with CCI 450 as my standard and also try some Federal if I can locate them.

Rupert, I did read those very long articles in Target Shooter online magazine hopefully it will be up again soon.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Always had a good run with CCI BR4, use them in all cases requiring a small rifle primer. Stick with what works & buy plenty, they won't break the bank.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Yep I use ccibr4 in my Grendel some use the Magnum one 450? Mostly the ar guys as they are harder and some found slam fires an issue with the br4 not a problem with a ba rifle
    But 32.3gn (mild load) cfe223 cci br4 lapua brass sierra 100gn varmint flat base hollow point
    Coal 2.200 gets me 0.5 or less all day long out of my howa mini 0.5 is easy but ive done much better than that if I’m shooting good

The 450s are the go-to primer for the smaller accuracy cases. I use them in my 6 and 6.5x47Ls as well as my 6BR. My guess is you can't go wrong with them.
    Kiwi Greg likes this.

Name:  3995BCF1-D72C-442F-AE5E-1ADDC5F4ECC0.jpeg
Views: 258
Size:  179.5 KB out of a lead slead or same sorta thing at 100
    It will do that all day long

LJP
    I've tested & been through a lot of Small primers with the 6Br & Small pocket 308 palma brass. The Russian "Murom" primers are about as good as it gets & even better as cheap as it gets. My primer of choice for along time was the CCI BR4's, the Murom trump these & pretty much in any cartridge I shoot.