Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: So... um... can I borrow your press?

So... um... can I borrow your press?

Okay, okay - before I get roasted... is that even a thing? Or is it like loaning someone your wife? There are some things I'd only lend to certain close friends, and other things I wouldn't lend to anyone. I'm new to this though, and have no idea if a reloading press falls into either of those categories.

I got into this sport about 9 months ago, and I'm loving every aspect of it. A couple of mates are teaching me the ropes of reloading and I've managed to pick up some of the essential bits & pieces, but I keep missing out on good deals on a press. To be honest, I've well & truly spent all my pocket money anyway, and the missus is starting to grumble...

So if you're going on a long holiday or have an old backup one gathering dust, it would be super-awesome to have something to tide me over until I can score one for myself. It might even let me save a bit more to get something a bit above entry level. I'm pretty fastidious with my own gear and even more so with others', so it would be carefully used and looked after. I'll happily pick it up (and return it!) to anywhere in Christchurch or North Canterbury.

Cheers guys!
    7mm Rem Mag and Scouterkotare like this.

Hold tight, there will probably be a few nice reloading set ups coming up for sale in the next month or so.....

you can use mine. you break it you bought it
    Pengy, Tommy, 223nut and 2 others like this.

Iv got a spare press if anyone has a spare wife? (short term loan only please)
    Use enough gun

I could be upgrading shortly so would have a press you could borrow, freight would be at your costs though.

Edit: and if you like it you could buy it.
    mopheadrob likes this.

Upgrading the wife or the press or both? The poor guy is obviously young and I doubt he needs the financial burden of two women. Mind you, if the wife comes with a free press there could merit in this offer.
    mikee likes this.

Oh I dont think he would want the wife, the reloaders got plenty of life in it though

Shhhhh here she comes

Apparently I am not allowed to upgrade the wife
    planenutz and GunBlueFan like this.

Basic press for $99 plus a tenner freight from gunworks.co.nz
    Pete_D likes this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

I remember when I started out reloading it was from helpful people showing me how & shearing there gear , iv got the most basic setup I think it cost $230 delivered , lee kit from reloaders but it works just fine & gives a bit of peace of mind in these dark days not knowing what maybe banned or harder to obtain , if you can afford even a basic kit buy it .
    Cordite and mopheadrob like this.
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    works just fine & gives a bit of peace of mind in these dark days not knowing what maybe ... harder to obtain
    I wonder how well you could make cartridges work with cast boolits, homemade BP and recycled primers. Would make quite cheap shooting, except for the valuable time spent tinkering, and you'd be directed to the downwind end of any firing line due to the smoke screen you'd lay down.

Maybe they should just ban smokeless powder for sports use -- high capacity magazines don't matter when shooters go blind after 5 shots.
    Last edited by Cordite; 07-04-2019 at 08:29 PM.
    Boar Freak, Boaraxa, 40mm and 1 others like this.

Hey thanks guys - as always, I appreciate the combination of generosity and humour to be found on this forum! Probably should've clarified that my wife definitely falls in the second category

Yep, I'd seen the Gunworks one @Cordite, but someone told me to avoid the cheap 'C' shaped ones and in my experience lots of brands have a cheap option to that's just there to let you know why you should spend more on their good item...

I'll flick @gonetropo a PM. Let me know when your new press arrives @johnd, I might be in a position to buy the old one off you.

Quote Originally Posted by mopheadrob View Post
    Hey thanks guys - as always, I appreciate the combination of generosity and humour to be found on this forum! Probably should've clarified that my wife definitely falls in the second category

Yep, I'd seen the Gunworks one @Cordite, but someone told me to avoid the cheap 'C' shaped ones and in my experience lots of brands have a cheap option to that's just there to let you know why you should spend more on their good item...

I'll flick @gonetropo a PM. Let me know when your new press arrives @johnd, I might be in a position to buy the old one off you.
    Heard that too, but the c-presses also have really good access for your hands. If in doubt get an O-press.

Gunworks also sell an O-press, a Lee Breech Lock Challenger in a $299 kit of the same name --, including hand primer, the O-press of course, powder scale, powder dispenser and some case conditioning bits (chamber reamer/cleaner, case neck de-burrer, resizing lube, etc. Just add your set of dies for calibre - and make sure the die set includes a case holder as they don't come with the Lee kit.

If shooting a common caliber just get a lee loader kit.i started with one years ago and still load with it sometimes even tho I have a press set up.
    Cordite likes this.

MHR,

If you have the components one of these fine folks in Chichester or nth Canterbury might just say drop in and use my press and give you a few tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mopheadrob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mopheadrob View Post
    . Let me know when your new press arrives @johnd, I might be in a position to buy the old one off you.
    Ok you can have first dibs Its a Redding Big Boss 11 There could also be some other parts that would suit too Powder trickler, powder thrower, balance beam.
    Of course that all add up But i could hold onto it untill you could afford it.