Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By nor-west
  • 1 Post By Sako851

Thread: Soft point damage

Soft point damage

Gday guys
    Down at the range today getting the zero back on point.

I notice when I circulate my rounds with the bolt (Rem Mod 7 308) there is a bit of resistance and the round scrapes against the top of the action? Where it goes into the barrel..

Anyway

I ejected a round I had cycled in and there was significant damage to the soft point. It was slightly flattened and every so slightly edged to one side. Just the lead point not the whole projectile.

Will this effect accuracy out to 200yards?

I resorted to single loading through the top of the bolt

Thanks in advance

Nah, I 've read several articles where the nose of bullets have been altered just to see what affect it may cause, hardly any, more variation was found when the base of the bullet was altered.
    Hewie, Sideshow, Fireflite and 1 others like this.

At 200yds mate it's a non issue, mine do the same.

What not-west said! Can’t remember if your into reloading @Sako851 but try loading up a few rounds say 10 and scratch the base of 5 of the bullets before you press them. (Make sure you keep them all together you don’t want these mixed up with your hunting rounds)!
    Then shoot them off and look at the difference. Quite remarkable how much they really shift off zero.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Dev
    Not quite the same issue but I noticed using the plastic tip Sierra TGK the round next to chamber in the mag after firing would get a melted/deformed tip after firing, they still grouped but single fed the rest as wasn’t sure how much affect it could have at longer ranges...

Thanks guys, reassuring.

@Sideshow not reloading just yet but it will be 308 and 243 to begin with. Still fronting some other expenses before I crack into it.
    Sideshow likes this.

years back I used to snip the lead tips off as my poohseventy would mash them up pretty bad in the magazine when shooting wallabies..the bottom two rounds might get 15 or 20 fired above them before they were used. plastic tips solved it,put a couple down bottom of mag. shot a chammy at loong range with one of those trimmed off PMC rounds,first round trimmed her toe nails telling me drop , kentucky windage took care of the rest.