Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 10 Post By grandpamac

Thread: Sometimes things go to plan.

Sometimes things go to plan.

Greetings All,
    I have been pottering around for some loads for the 7mm-08 recently. The owner has been using the 150 grain Remington Core-Lokt because he likes them and deer fall dead shortly after the bang. The supply of these is just about exhausted so a change to the 140 grain Rem CL was needed. My mission was to sort out a load for the later projectile, and it would be nice if it shot to much the same POI as the earlier load. A quick check of the Hodgdon on line data and a likely suspect was identified. Probable velocities were calculated for both the old and the new load. Today was fine and calm so the chrono was set up and away we went.

The rifle is a Remington Titanium with a 19 inch barrel and a suppressor. Cases are R-P with Federal 210 primers with projectiles seated 1mm from the lands. The 150 grain load was with 41.5 grains of AR2208, a max book load for a longer projectile. Probable velocity was 2,580 fps and the chronograph read 2,570 fps. This load has been used for some time and given no problems so the load selected for the 140 grain projectile was set a 42.5 grains of AR2208 or a grain under book max. Probable velocity for this was load was 2,675 fps and chronographed 2,710 fps. Probable velocity for the max load of 43.5 grains of AR2208 was 2,722 fps so this canister (different for that used in the 150 grain load) seems a little faster. No need to go any further. Some may frown on my not working up slowly from book start loads but in a known rifle with a load history I have not found this necessary. The chronographed velocity shows the load was within book max. I use velocity as a reliable indicator of pressure and don't look at primers much any more.

On the target both loads shot about MoA and the 140 grain shot 20mm above the 150 grain. So with all boxes ticked and a total expenditure of 5 rounds (the first one was chronograph insurance to check zero) the mission was declared complete. Sometimes things go to plan.

Regards Grandpamac.
    199p, Husky1600, Woody and 7 others like this.