Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Specific Chambering for Specific Bullet

I've ordered a 32" heavy barrel in 338 with a 1:9.5 to 1:8 gain twist. My intention is to shoot monolithics--particularly CE 300 MTH--with best effect. My current barrel's chamber case length is 2.755 and I'm shooting 300 Berger OTMs' that finish up at 3.855 at .012 off the lands. Would I be better off chambering this barrel long to best accommodate the CE MTH which needs to seat 1.428 out? I'm figuring the base to rifling engagement should be 4.195 for a .012 offset. Also would this have a negative effect on jacketed bullets such as the Berger 300 OTM?

Misstated: measurements off; should have been from the base of the case to the bearing ogive surface. About which measurement I have no idea presently, but I know some people here have considerable experience with solid copper bullets. More to the point remains given that I want to shoot monolithics and replacing the current barrel would I not be wise to tailor the chamber for those bullets?

sneakywaza I got
    You think too much.

Throat length is best suited to accomodate a range of bullets rather than one specific type. Are you going to use this rifle for bench rest shooting? If not then don't worry about the throat length. I figure out which weight of bullet (not specific type) and set the throat length to engrave the rifling just as the bullet is about .020" from leaving the case. This freebore gives lower pressures and seems to give good accuracy. My main long-range .30-06 shoots consistent 0.5 MOA with this method. If you are using the rifle for hunting then the standard factory chambering reamer will be fine. 2 MOA is prfectly good hunting accuracy and most off the shelf rifles will do much better than that. Rifle accuracy is more about the shooter, the condition of the bore, and the consistency of the ammo, rather than fiddly little mechanical details.