Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Sticky bolt?

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

Sticky bolt?

Hey team. I have a 308 Win that I'm running 150NBTs in Lapua brass using AR2208 and CCI BR2 primers. The load shoots very well in my little Forbes at 2750fps and should be a pretty sedate load. I think 2208 is not the ideal powder but is good enough.
    I have had a run of occasional very tight bolt lift though on the occasional load. I thought I may have had the headspace a little too long so I have measured across a number of fires cases with a Hornady comparator and bumped the shoulder back another 0.002" from fired brass. Everything chambers easy. I have one piece of brass that jammed on me last night that measures 2.006" long. I think this is well undersize at 2.015" so unlikely it's not too long. I have a base of 0.4721 which is about 0.0011" over CIP so I'm not picking that's too bad. 2208 is nearly impossible to overload so I doubt I'm too hot. The primer tells the same story. The only thing I can find in this one piece of brass is a mark across the base. I'll have to take a look at the bolt when I get home but its the only thing I can see wrong. I'm scratching for ideas. I was planning to use some CFE223 in this but I would really like to get to the bottom of this first problem before I get any further down the track.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

MSL
    Carbon ring in the throat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    Carbon ring in the throat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How do I check for that?
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Caretaker
    How many brass are tight

Put them aside and monitor the rest

I ran my Forbes with the same projectile at 2900 FPS with 2208 and lapua brass
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    How many brass are tight

Put them aside and monitor the rest

I ran my Forbes with the same projectile at 2900 FPS with 2208 and lapua brass
    They're only tight after shooting. Everything chambers mint. Not all are tight either, on average I'd say one in 6. I can't be fucked risking a missed chance with a gammy bolt. I'd rather just chuck everything out and start again but that's assuming its the brass and not the rifle. I may just buy some fresh brass and try that.

Caretaker
    It’s the brass for sure
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

My Forbes used to do that but not on bolt lift it was on bolt extraction.
    And was only caused by loads being too warm.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

Have had the same thing in my tight chambered 280 with neck sized brass. So watching this with interest.

The Forbes has no primary extraction which is a bit sucky. I don’t see anything in the bolt that looks bad. The brass still measures fine for headspace but won’t extract even when rechambered. I’ll give it a neck size to remove the carbon ring idea and if that goes then I’ll FL size it and see.

Greetings Kiwijames,
    Looks to me as though the case has been scored on something before or while it is being chambered. There may be a raised ridge on one side of the score which would have chambered OK but would have been hard to extract. It would be worth looking at your mag and bolt face for any rough bits as well as your reloading gear. Brass particles on anything other than your trimmer should be regarded with some suspicion. Also you could check all the other cases for score marks. It would also be interesting to know if the tight rounds chronographed any faster than their mates.
    Regards Grandpamac.

I’m thinking the score on the base may be a red herring. I’ve checked it for length and it’s well inside others that chamber and extract fine. I’ve neck sized it and it is still sticky, only after I FL size does it go back to behaving itself. I think I’m going to chuck the brass and try some fresh stuff. I’ll also go to a different powder but I really don’t see the load ever getting warm. 2208 is just too bulky to make the 308 overloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings Kiwijames,
    Looks to me as though the case has been scored on something before or while it is being chambered. There may be a raised ridge on one side of the score which would have chambered OK but would have been hard to extract. It would be worth looking at your mag and bolt face for any rough bits as well as your reloading gear. Brass particles on anything other than your trimmer should be regarded with some suspicion. Also you could check all the other cases for score marks. It would also be interesting to know if the tight rounds chronographed any faster than their mates.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Cheers. I don’t have a chronograph and prefer to validate at range. This load was very consistent and the deer I shot last night was bang on for elevation with 3.25MOA dialled in.

whats with the 3 crimp marks around primer???
    we has shitty issues with S&B brass ...it was so plurry hard resizing nearly took handle off press,any other brand is fine....really surprised you would have issues with lapua brass...its supposed to be the good shit is it not???? be a shame to chuck good brass if its not the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    whats with the 3 crimp marks around primer???
    we has shitty issues with S&B brass ...it was so plurry hard resizing nearly took handle off press,any other brand is fine....really surprised you would have issues with lapua brass...its supposed to be the good shit is it not???? be a shame to chuck good brass if its not the issue.
    Yeah had the same issue as the OP (hard bolt lifts) but with S&B factory rounds. Horrible ammo. Changed to Hornady superformance and no more issues.
    Last edited by Allizdog; 16-03-2020 at 06:54 PM.

Small base die to fix it?
    Matt2308 likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.