Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Stuck case removal tool Sth Taranaki?

Stuck case removal tool Sth Taranaki?

Hi there folks.
    Got a 223 case stuck in a hornady full length resizing die. Anybody in Taranaki (ideally South) have a stuck case removal tool I can borrow please?

Cheers
    Kiwi Sapper likes this.

Too far away to assist but before I bought one had a stuck case, 1st ever. I just drilled out the primer pocket and tapped to 6mm (1/4 Whitworth is better but who has those taps nowadays?).
    Used a small socket as a spacer, flat washer on top of the socket, suitable 6mm bolt and out she came.
    Before drilling the primer pocket see if you can wind the primer removal rod up as far as possible.

Since I've has a factory tool I haven't had a stuck case so they work...

Edit: My stuck case was a 308 so just used a 1/2" socket of a size big enough to go over the case and rest against the die bottom.
    Last edited by zimmer; 13-12-2020 at 08:49 PM.
    Nakivet likes this.

Got a stuck 260 case last week, my mate used the system mentioned above to get the bugger out
    Micky Duck likes this.

northdude
    I've never had one but is it not possible to take the decapping rod and nut out of the die and punch the case out
    hamsav likes this.

Thanks everybody. Having done a bit more googling last night I will see what components I can get from bunnings this morning. Otherwise @muzza has offered to help me out

Stick it in the freezer for an hour and then try again in the press. The brass will shrink more than the steel so this often works too.
    Brian and hamsav like this.

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    nah - you cant get the neck size button out the case neck and then you f*ck the threaded stem that holds it . Aske me how I know this .......
    I also know this......twice. now i have the right thing
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

You will get everything you need at Bunnings.

Drill, tap bolt, washers. Brass is soft so a shifter is ok to work the tap. Put the bolt through the washers and a socket to pull the case.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakivet View Post
    Thanks everybody. Having done a bit more googling last night I will see what components I can get from bunnings this morning. Otherwise @muzza has offered to help me out
    Usually..........with the right gear they come out amazingly easy. Even easier than pulling a tooth.

My thanks to the contributors of this thread as I was unaware of the possibility of this mishap. I had covered my arse some time ago and obtained the tool to remedy a detached head for .30 calibre but had nothing for this scenario.

Thanks to your guidance, today I spent $28 and now own a 1/4 inch Whitworth tap, matching bolt with a Hex key head and a 5 mm drill.
    Now I am confident I will never, just like Zimmer, ever have a need for them.

Begone foul Murphy, I have confounded your dastardly plans......

Name:  Murphy's Law..jpg
Views: 163
Size:  20.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    why did you go Whitworth? Whats wrong with a standard 5 or 6mm tap and suitable drill?
    Why Whitworth? A couple of reasons.

First because it is "British", No need for the "French" system when British Whitworth, which was the world's first national screw thread standard, has served us so well.

Secondly, being a "Bear of very little brain" when I started my steep firearms reloading learning curve here. I read and considered the knowledge of others being kindly made available. I think I mentioned that in my last post, and Zimmer said ......

"I just drilled out the primer pocket and tapped to 6mm (1/4 Whitworth is better but who has those taps nowadays?).

So, as i was buying and able to buy Whitworth and I take every opportunity available to vomit on those who incorrectly espouse the use of the word Aotearoa.

Name:  Union Flag.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  19.9 KB

There is more, quite a lot more but I suspect you may now have an inkling :>)

Got it sorted thanks chaps. Bumped into an acquaintance at bunnings while looking for the taps who had the removal tool at home. Quick trip round and had it sorted. Also borrowed his neck sizing die so resorted to neck sizing only instead of full length sizing

That's great you got it sorted.

Don't be put off by that case stuck experience. Even if you resort to neck sizing you will eventually need to FLS. Depending upon the cartridge/load maybe as soon as 3-4 firings. Nowadays I FLS every reload.

Everyone who ever had a stuck case will tell you it was caused by short cutting the lubing or using an inadequate lube.
    My stuck case came after maybe 30 years of reloading when I changed from my tried and proven lube to a new snake oil that claimed it was suitable for FLSing. First case stuck. Snake oil binned.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    That's great you got it sorted...................My stuck case came after maybe 30 years of reloading when I changed from my tried and proven lube to a new snake oil that claimed it was suitable for FLSing. First case stuck. Snake oil binned.
    And please @zimmer tell me what is your "tried and proven" lube?

Cheers Zimmer
    Yeah I know i will need to go back to FL sizing at some point. And yes the lube was a bit lacking. I had a helper who is used to only neck sizing doing the powdered graphite application and me being new to it all wasn't checking well enough. Sure enough mistake learnt but not a major