Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: SUBSINIC 160grain CAST 7mm08

  1. #1
    Member diana2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    150

    SUBSINIC 160grain CAST 7mm08

    Hi everyone,
    I would like some advise.
    I was trying out some 160gr. cast bullets (from Robertw/shooters) in my Tikka 7mm08 16'barrel.
    They group nicely at 25 yds but shoot 1.8' low at 50 yards and still group well (1/2')
    I was trying a couple of ballistic programmes and both indicate the drop to 50 yds should be around 1/2' instead the 1.8' I get.
    Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?
    I do realize the drop is more drastic from 50 yds onwards, but this big from 25yds to 50yds ?
    I am using 8.8grain Trail Boss and the velocity is 1076 .
    Cheers
    300_BLK likes this.

  2. #2
    Member Marty Henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Tararua
    Posts
    2,232
    Basically you are shooting a big arse subsonic .22 so the performance will match that. I dont know what bc you are using or your input values but I shoot a bit of cast stuff through lever actions and zero at 100 which gives me a bullet thats 4 inches high at 50 and 4 low at 130.
    There are a few good keen sub shooters here using the 45/70 "mans cartridge" at long range who will no doubt chip in.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    173
    I have a 44 mag shooting 280 grain subsonic, I have it sighted in for 80 yards and its about 2" high at 50 and 2" low at 90 and 3" low at 100. Have not gotten around to shooting any live targets yet but that should give you a bit of an idea of trajetory.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Tokoroa
    Posts
    543
    Basically you can forget about BC with subsonic loads the trajectory is the same which ever bullet shape you use gravity is the winer
    high BC bullets are only useful at supersonic speeds,
    The difference in drop between theory and results on the target are mostly due to the barrel oscillations
    set the rifle up to give the optimum trajectory with the most accurate load,
    Happy that you are getting good results diana2 I always fear that those 160 grainers won't stabilise at sub velocity
    Any way help is at hand my new 7mm HP mould is in the mail if NZ Post doesn't lose it I will have it in a few days, weight is meant to be 132 grains
    won't know for sure until I cast some but it is short enough so stability won't be a problem.
    Cordite likes this.

  5. #5
    Member diana2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    150
    Cool, thank you shooternz
    I thought the BC doesn't mean a lot, since I used different settings from 1. to 3. and there was hardly any difference in the trajectory readings.
    Your cast projectiles are easy to use and I am happy with those groups.
    I started with TB 10grain (supersonic) down to 8.8 (best group 1/2' @ 50yds and subsonic) and stick to that.
    The loads went subsonic from 9.8 but the groups where not so good, but it looks they all stabilised well, at least at 25yds.
    The less powder, the smaller the groups.
    Looking forward trying the new 132 grainers and this load as a close range goat load.
    Cheers

  6. #6
    Member stug's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oxford, Canterbury
    Posts
    2,916
    Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    Basically you can forget about BC with subsonic loads the trajectory is the same which ever bullet shape you use gravity is the winer
    high BC bullets are only useful at supersonic speeds,
    The difference in drop between theory and results on the target are mostly due to the barrel oscillations
    set the rifle up to give the optimum trajectory with the most accurate load,
    Happy that you are getting good results diana2 I always fear that those 160 grainers won't stabilise at sub velocity
    Any way help is at hand my new 7mm HP mould is in the mail if NZ Post doesn't lose it I will have it in a few days, weight is meant to be 132 grains
    won't know for sure until I cast some but it is short enough so stability won't be a problem.
    I like the sound of the 132gr HP, I'll be keen to be your guinea pig if you want. I'm currently using an approx 130gr sub load in my 708. Made by cutting the tip off some Hornady 140gr, drilling the end out and cutting a cross. Have killed a few possums so far.

  7. #7
    Member Micky Duck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Geraldine
    Posts
    1,810
    hmmmmm Robert how small can you size them mate?????
    I have a idea in mind that could open up a real can of worms if it works....
    my old poohseventy with worn bore should eat these up no worries at the minimal pressures a trailboss load will generate..... after all the fun I have had with your 151s in the x39 it would be nice to be able to play along same lines with the old cannon.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Tokoroa
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    hmmmmm Robert how small can you size them mate?????
    I have a idea in mind that could open up a real can of worms if it works....
    my old poohseventy with worn bore should eat these up no worries at the minimal pressures a trailboss load will generate..... after all the fun I have had with your 151s in the x39 it would be nice to be able to play along same lines with the old cannon.
    Sorry Micky, sizing down that much will stuff up the entegrity of the bullet about .004" is all you can do, get a real calibre, lots of 7mm08 and .308's about
    I see some one has started a thread on the .358 Win that is a real cast bullet calibre cast shooters in the States either have one or want one.
    I fancy a 7mmTCU got a .223 700 that's lazing around gathering dust.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Tokoroa
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    I like the sound of the 132gr HP, I'll be keen to be your guinea pig if you want. I'm currently using an approx 130gr sub load in my 708. Made by cutting the tip off some Hornady 140gr, drilling the end out and cutting a cross. Have killed a few possums so far.
    Ok I'll flick you some, you can do the load development I am too busy casting damn bullets to get to the range, just post your loads here will be sweet.

  10. #10
    Member stug's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oxford, Canterbury
    Posts
    2,916
    Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    Ok I'll flick you some, you can do the load development I am too busy casting damn bullets to get to the range, just post your loads here will be sweet.
    Will do.

  11. #11
    Member Micky Duck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Geraldine
    Posts
    1,810
    ah well the thought was there...I will stick with my REAL 7mm not one of these .284 try hard calibres.

  12. #12
    MIA somewhere in Nam 300CALMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Reluctantly JAFA
    Posts
    3,072
    @shooternz I am currently working up a load for a mate's 7-08 and would like to try some cast pills. Where do I get some of yours? I do have some .308 cast projectiles but it sound like sizing to 7mm would stuff them.

    Thanks for the info everyone!!

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Tokoroa
    Posts
    543
    Yeah it would stuff me as well, I have them listed on TM in bags of 50 for $15.00 plus freight, If you want to load subs wait for the HP's to arrive
    they will be better and will expand.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Mangatawhiri
    Posts
    141
    Do you guys shoot cast and jacketed bullets through the same rifle?
    I have a couple of bags of your cast bullets sitting round here

  15. #15
    MIA somewhere in Nam 300CALMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Reluctantly JAFA
    Posts
    3,072
    Quote Originally Posted by bigreddog View Post
    Do you guys shoot cast and jacketed bullets through the same rifle?
    I have a couple of bags of your cast bullets sitting round here
    Yes I often swap between lead and jackets in the same rifle.
    You got some 7mm 160 gainers?

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: cast Bullets
    By mikec in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 18-07-2017, 07:00 PM
  2. Shotgun Cast
    By Dama dama in forum Shotgunning
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-06-2017, 11:36 PM
  3. FS: Cast your own !!!! ,
    By stumpy in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 30-09-2016, 01:21 PM
  4. Cast antlers
    By James sully in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28-07-2014, 07:06 PM
  5. What sort of cast do you want from your dog...
    By EeeBees in forum Trial, Pedigree and Bird Dogs
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 25-12-2013, 10:11 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!