Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Fact or fiction

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fact

4 30.77%
  • Fiction

9 69.23%
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Suppressor Free Bore boost

Suppressor Free Bore boost

Fact or Myth?
    I have come across a lot of talk online about Suppressor gree bore boost basically saying you get an extra 30-50fps with a Suppressor fitted. I have never seen this and have measured 4 of my rifles both on and off and there is no real difference.
    Thoughts?
    BC doesn't matter, until you need to dial

Detonation of oil or solvent in the suppressor on first shot is well documented. Could that be what's happening, or is it with every shot?

Have heard of it but never tested it for myself.

If the chambering is massively overbore and short barrel (Ie high muzzle preasure) It stands to reason a close fitting suppressor may provide some small amout of "boost" but any possible gain is likely lost if you put your 300win mag suppressor on your 223.

So I vote plausible in overbore short barrel situations with tight supperssor tolerances, but not in general applications.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I agree with the comments above. The reason I said free bore boost is from this video, if you don't want to watch it all it's quoted at 3.26

My reason for posting the poll was that I hear this quoted again and again, some times at our range and even once overheard it at a counter at a local shop. And I get the impression that the average guy thinks you can cut 4 inches of your barrel add a suppressor and be back to your normal velocity. And when you try to tell some of them that this is not the case you get called an idiot and haven't you watched this video or so an so said that their suppressor gives them bla bla fps so mine must too ...etc
    Anyway good to hear that the informed know better

Quote Originally Posted by Bol Tackshin View Post
    Detonation of oil or solvent in the suppressor on first shot is well documented. Could that be what's happening, or is it with every shot?
    From what I hear every shot

Want to read a lot of BS click here for a google search
    Last edited by winaa; 24-06-2020 at 09:21 AM.

Only read this post just now, it's wet and I'm bored, and I tend to go with the fiction vote. Six different rifles, with and without suppressors, negligible velocity difference. As noted in video, 25-50 fps vel. change. I've seen bigger variation than that with factory ammo and supposedly good accurate hand-loads.
    I have dabbled in the dark side of shooting out to 1500 meters and there is all sorts of other shit that makes the difference between a hit or miss on a 300 x 300 mm target besides 25-50 fps velocity.