Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: suppressor pressure

suppressor pressure

Ok for those who know more than me and there's quite a few of you , can you explain this? I have been developing loads for my rifle using it's muzzle brake. Started at 62gns working up in .5's to 65. had no pressure signs and good speed so stopped as I was happy enough. I settled on 64gns for no other reason than up till then every .5 gave 30fps and after that it was 20 then 10 so figured a good place to settle.
    Put a new suppressor on , hardy gen 6 and first shots stamped the brass and very tight bolt. Reduced loads to 62gns and same thing. While still at 62gns I remove the suppressor and didn't put the break on as I didn't have it with me and all things back to how they should be! Not a hint of pressure or stamping or sticky bolt. The hole is the right size in the suppressor and can't see anything wrong with it.. It's done up tight and only just resting on the barrel. I checked the specs and it's the right size for a 7saum . What's the go? Where has all this extra pressure come from?

Pressure over time?
    I dont know but the suppressor basicly holds some of the muzzel preasure and releases it slower so maybe this extra time has an effect? or maybe your barrel was hot as with the suppressor?
    Im just guessing stuff.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

The pressure is retained for longer with the supressor think of it as a bleed off valve.
    To work effectively it has to reduce pressure by controlling expansion, reduce gas volume by cooling, and reduce gas velocity by creating turbulence as well as all the above.
    Gas operated rifles show the effect of supressors quite well, ar type rifles I believe can be over gassed by them.
    Over barrel supressors with larger first expansion chambers than muzzle forwards may let the pressure drop more quickly but im no expert.
    Thats my 2 cents anyway.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

R93
    If you think about it, you are essentially adding barrel length without the significant velocity gains.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Pressure signs in cases develop in response to the peak pressure. This typically occurs in time at about one-third of the barrel time - the time between ignition and exit at the muzzle - corresponding to when the bullet is perhaps 10% of the way down the barrel. Whatever is causing this would surely need to be influencing pressures then.
    sneeze, Proudkiwi and LBD like this.

I've had two other rifles with suppressors and never had this. Wouldn't everybody have to reduce loads then when using a suppressor? I've heard of velocity gain by using one but it seems no one really sees it or only very minimal if at all. I've gained more pressure than 3gns of powder probably closer to 5 that's almost 10% reduction needed. Seems way to much. It's a carbon fibre barrel so probably has a bigger internal sleeve so being the same od and length I guess internal volume might be a bit less to handle the gases and maybe it ism't enough? but then a 7rm mag would have 5+ grains more powder and that would balance it out as thats more gas to sort on a more standard one. The rifle does seem to be shooting fast. book says a 175projectile 66gns of powder is about 2850fps. I get that with 62.5 and pushing 2950 at 65gns. this was with a magnospeed. The chamber seems long as a no go gauge works easy but I size the brass to suit. 30" jump so no jamming.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    i was under the impression that you gain about 50fps when adding a suppressor would that be enough to reach over pressure and hold it for longer?
    I have yet to see a velocity increase when using a suppressor over the normal ES range

My guess has been that the marks are because the air in the barrel and suppressor in front of the bullet can’t escape as quickly as it can when using no suppression or a muzzle break.

Are you running very minimal headspace?

I get the slightest hint of a stamp when using my suppressor as well and this doesn’t show up at all without it fitted or if I’m using older fouling rounds that have more headspace

Possibly I’m loaded up (unsuppresed) very close to the point of a slight stamp or the minimal headspace causes the case head to contact the bolt plunger firmer?
    Last edited by Tui4Me; 05-03-2019 at 05:17 AM.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I'm about 2" head space. I've checked all measurements a few times. Only way you could get velocity gain imo is if the suppressor isn't working properly. The point of a suppressor is the same as a car muffler. To slow and remove pressure from hot high pressure air meeting cold. You need pressure to get velocity and it should be lowered as soon as it gets into the suppressor, so no gain. I'm waiting to hear back from hardys to see what they say. The barrel crown is clean so are the threads so doesn't look like escaping gases. But they should come out around the barrel not back down it I would have thought?

northdude
    You mean 2thou im guessing

The suppressor traps the gas and generates a much longer time/pressure curve. This shows up in gas-operated semi-autos and causes extraction problems in many of them. There are two solutions. One is to open up the suppressor bore which will lower the pressure and the effectiveness of the suppressor. The other is to install an adjustable gas system that can be tuned to suit. Note that .308's etc produce a much greater gas volume than .223's and the problem is worse in the higher case capacity cartridges.
    johnd likes this.

I hear what saying gundoc. I talked to hardy's and they want it back. They asked about hole diameter but it measures ok as they thought there might have been the wrong one sent. I did a quick estimate accounting for my bigger barrel needing a bigger sleave to account for the larger OD and if my maths correct that's a loss of almost 25% of the useable space in the rear part of the suppressor. Wondering if that could have something to do with it?

son took his silencer off his AR223 as he was getting a face full of crap with every shot.
    Z

Intersting post.

Is it an ammunition problem?
    Braked , suppressed and bare barrel trial ammo all from the same batch ?
    Check case headspace, total case ength, seating depth, projectile weight and of course pull a couple for powder weight. Was it the same powder ? Same brass ?

Sorry, pretty basic but no ones discussed it yet.

Very interesting - following.