Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Cooper
  • 1 Post By McNotty

Thread: Tikka 300WSM

Tikka 300WSM

Looking at putting together a long range tahr load. Will be factory 24” barrel.
    At a pinch I’m going to try and get a hold of a box 200gn precision hunter but would like to get a hand load together too.
    Ideally I’d like to run the 208 ELDM OR 212. I’ve got a MT mag so length isn’t an issue.

My real question is, will I be able to stabilise these in the 1:11 tikka barrel.

Yes, just about. I use the 208gr ELD-M's in my 24" factory barrel (brought off of here). The bullets are stable pushed at >2700fps and I get some pretty crazy little groups.

I suspect they're losing stability past 1000m though (unless my drop chart is wrong or my shooting just sucks) because I'm loosing them beyond that.

A 1:10 would be better suited. 26" or more, ideally. If you have to buy a barrel, I strongly suggest buy once cry once and go for something longer, heavier and faster twist.

What length will your mag allow you to load them out to? My load is 3.000". They're too fat and stick inside a LA mag and the WSM mag basically puts the ogive inside the case mouth.

3.4” mag to play with. Crazy little groups sound nice. It’s just a temporary rifle while I’m living away from the South Island will likely rebarrel in a few years time with a 7mm blaser or 7-300wsm.

They stabilize them ok, I shoot a 208gr eld-m out of mine, going somewhere between 2700 and 2800fps, have shot them out to 1000 yards on targets.
    I'm planning to try some 178gr eld-x moving a bit faster as another option, wind drift works out similar, just a little flatter at close range
    Tuckerbox likes this.

you might want to check out the new-ish Berger 180 VLD Elite Hunter projectiles - impressive BC G1 0.576. 180's are a good fit/match for the WSM. Been doing some load D on these recently with Hyb100V with good results ~3040 fps

I'm shooting the ELD-M 208 doing 2770 at just over mag length in Tikka. With a long mag you'll be able to get a little more powder in and get a little extra speed if you wanted to. Knocks over goats easy at 800m, punches right through still. Never tried on deer out past 600m. The load I'm running is 67 gr 2213sc, Norma brass, Fed match LR mag primers. Obviously work up as this is pretty warm.
    Tuckerbox likes this.

Thanks a million chaps!! Will see how this works out.