Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

tikka 7mm Rem Mag load development

I'm about to start developing a load for my mates tikka 7mm RM, I have heard that they are a tough nut to crack because of the short mag restricting the COAL and where the ogive sits in relation to the lands.

If anyone has any rough starting points for projectiles, powder type and load (not asking for much eh). I am developing it as a favour so am trying to limit the costs for myself. I have recently spent a small fortune on load development for a couple of other mates to help tune my technique.

I have only been reloading for about 12 months so feel free to query an dumb stuff I say and all tips are much appreciated.

Strider

I use norma cases, 215 fed primers and ar2225 powder. I've had good luck with these and you'll find many others who use the same although not every one uses norma cases. If using lighter than 160gn projectiles 2217 might be a good powder to try. As far as projectiles go , the 150gn nosler bt is always a good shooter then maybe the 168 berger classic hunter but they aren't cheap or the 160 tmk probably in that order. You'll find a lot of people on here use one of these projectiles. Hornady eldx/m are good if your gun will shoot them but they can be finicky. I'm using the 180 eldm and it shoots ok but I put that down to the reduced velocity compared to the 154's and 162's which I had not much luck with. Imo it's not worth using lighter than 150gn projectiles in the 7mm mag as you lose a lot of bc and there are plenty of other calibers that are more efficient firing those lighter projectiles at similar speeds. Berger has a way of trialing seating depth which could be worth ago. From memory it's 3 rounds loaded at four different seating depths so 12 rounds in all. then see what shoots the best group. That sorts your seating( you can fine tune more between two of their suggested depths later if you want) and then it's trying different powder charges at that depth to fine tune. Lastly get it chronoed so you can set up your ballistic app. Accuracy is always first and speed second. If you can't hit it there's no point missing it with a faster bullet. Both together is ideal but make sure you sacrifice the right one if you have to

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    I’m using Winchester cases CCI Magnum primers 72gn 2225 and Hornady 162SSTs at mag length not a hot fast load but nice and accurate.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Cheers

Ill order some projectiles and see what I can come up with. Will share if I nail a good load.

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    What part of the country are you in?
    There might be guys that can help with left over powder and projectiles to get you started.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

im using 162amax 73.5 grains of adi 2225 powder. (book max) 215 fed primers out of a 24inch tikka getting 2960 fps . seated at mag length shooting well under 1/2 moa. first load i tried. tikka t3

I'm in Christchurch / Kaikoura. That would be awesome, i'm happy to fix anyone up for some powder.

I see that the 162 Amax has been discontinued, can they be replaced by the ELDx or ELDM or better to go to the SST?

ELD-m is closer to the old amax. Eld-x is slightly harder.

There’s still quite a few of the old 162 AMAXs that come up 4 sale on yellow site or on here. You also should consider the 180 ELDMs