Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree23Likes
  • 12 Post By Rock river arms hunter
  • 1 Post By Rock river arms hunter
  • 1 Post By Nugget connaisseur
  • 4 Post By Matt-P.Nth
  • 1 Post By 257weatherby
  • 1 Post By Shearer
  • 1 Post By Rock river arms hunter
  • 2 Post By Matt-P.Nth

Thread: Tmks

Tmks

Hi folks.

I know some are weighing up and asking about the TMKS.

Well I've used the 7mm 160gr version and it works.

Today I used the 168gr 308 version.

240y ish shot. Quartering away shot. 4 ish ribs behind the shoulder.

Dropped on the spot and didnt take a step.

No exit wound.

Like a frag going off. Took one lung and the point where the windpipe meets the heart out. Found some tiny 2 or 3mm fragments in the tenderloins.

Very very dead deer.

Name:  20200514_085814.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  6.20 MB

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    I've had excellent accuracy out of the 69Gr in my 223 but over the lockdown couldn't get any more so bought 300 65Gr SPBT's which I also get excellent accuracy from so a bit stuck, I'll have to use the 65gr up I guess then get more TMK,
    Have yet to use either on an animal but good to know they work in my rifle.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

What speed you throwing them at? Looking at shooting the tmks out of my 300wsm if the vlds dont shoot well

Quote Originally Posted by cameronjackwhite View Post
    What speed you throwing them at? Looking at shooting the tmks out of my 300wsm if the vlds dont shoot well
    Out of the old 308 with a 20inch barrel.

2680fps

Nothing fancy but man do they work.

Based on this wee experiment and how my 284 runs the 160s I'd be keeping any shorter shots from the 300WSM as behind the shoulder placement. They shoot ballistically identically for POI etc as the Amaxs of the same weight as I've found out.

I hope this info is of use to yourself and others!
    tonyd likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    Out of the old 308 with a 20inch barrel.

2680fps

Nothing fancy but man do they work.

Based on this wee experiment and how my 284 runs the 160s I'd be keeping any shorter shots from the 300WSM as behind the shoulder placement. They shoot ballistically identically for POI etc as the Amaxs of the same weight as I've found out.

I hope this info is of use to yourself and others!
    What powder are you running?
    I have some 168 eldms to try as soon as i can make it out. the TMKs are next on my list if they dont work out
    dannyb likes this.

I’ll chuck up my experiences with them too if ya don’t mind me adding to ya thread.

I’ve shot 5 deer with the 195 TMK out of my 308 doing 2520.

Animal 1/2 Fallow at 190 and 240 yards, 2 shots, 2 bang flops.first shot was a crease shot that exited showing good expansion. The second shot I over-allowed for drop and smacked it in the neck. The photos don’t show the exits so won’t post me up.

Animal 3 was a sika stag (a cull) at 279yd. Shot was at a decent angle IVO 20deg. Shot went just behind the onside shoulder and exited low on the offside but good for line. The stag ran 30yards and piled up. Internally it was a mess with the heart and lungs being shredded.

Animal 4 was a sika yearling shot it the neck so no real value added there.

Animal 5 was a complete cluster f*** with me taking a stupid shot in desperation. It was a Sambar yearling at 110 on the run. I waited until it had turned directly away from me and went for a neck shot but as the shot broke I’m sure I pulled it low down into vicinity the rump. Got over to where it was and had a heavy blood trail.... that pattered out after about 50, I then bumped what I think was the deer again about 150 (15mins) from the point of impact but with how thick the scrub was and losing light dam fast I couldn’t find it again.

Overall I rate these pills I was worried they might be too explosive but I’m always getting an exit wound and have well and truly learnt my lesson on Texas heart shots. Will aim to break the onside shoulder on the next couple (likely fallow and sika) and will chuck up a post here

sneakywaza I got
    Have successfully used the 155 TMK in .308 at 2850 on fallow and red, chest shots, total destruction no exits.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt-P.Nth View Post
    I’ll chuck up my experiences with them too if ya don’t mind me adding to ya thread.

I’ve shot 5 deer with the 195 TMK out of my 308 doing 2520.

Animal 1/2 Fallow at 190 and 240 yards, 2 shots, 2 bang flops.first shot was a crease shot that exited showing good expansion. The second shot I over-allowed for drop and smacked it in the neck. The photos don’t show the exits so won’t post me up.

Animal 3 was a sika stag (a cull) at 279yd. Shot was at a decent angle IVO 20deg. Shot went just behind the onside shoulder and exited low on the offside but good for line. The stag ran 30yards and piled up. Internally it was a mess with the heart and lungs being shredded.

Animal 4 was a sika yearling shot it the neck so no real value added there.

Animal 5 was a complete cluster f*** with me taking a stupid shot in desperation. It was a Sambar yearling at 110 on the run. I waited until it had turned directly away from me and went for a neck shot but as the shot broke I’m sure I pulled it low down into vicinity the rump. Got over to where it was and had a heavy blood trail.... that pattered out after about 50, I then bumped what I think was the deer again about 150 (15mins) from the point of impact but with how thick the scrub was and losing light dam fast I couldn’t find it again.

Overall I rate these pills I was worried they might be too explosive but I’m always getting an exit wound and have well and truly learnt my lesson on Texas heart shots. Will aim to break the onside shoulder on the next couple (likely fallow and sika) and will chuck up a post here
    Don't think you will have to worry about them being explosive at that MV. They are designed to come out of much bigger cartridges much faster.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

I like pictures to show projectile performance, Dropped on the spot doesnt tell me much.

There is many ways to drop a animal on the spot.

Edit

Not trying to shit on tmk or you at all I just like pictures.

Ideal projectile performance is like the ideal womans arse.....no two men (or women for that matter) will pick the same
    Last edited by veitnamcam; 14-05-2020 at 11:00 PM.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I like pictures to show projectile performance, Dropped on the spot doesnt tell me much.

There is many ways to drop a animal on the spot.

Edit

Not trying to shit on tmk or you at all I just like pictures.

Ideal projectile performance is like the ideal womans arse.....no two men (or women for that matter) will pick the same
    Ya ever heard " it just penciled threw" and asked what the damage was? Invariably in my experience they didnt even look they "just took the back wheels and backsteaks bro" so they shot it in the heart and it ran 30-100y and they blamed the projectile for not expanding.

Once again not saying this is you or anyone else just something I hear time and time again.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Using the 69 TMK out of a 19" 22-250 @ around 3150 fps on fallow, used to use the 77's out of an 16" AR @ around 2700ish.
    The extra velocity of the 22-250 makes a big difference, despite smaller projectile. Neck shots and is like a fist punched through. Found this to be a good combination on the fallow and decent step up from 223, but can still maintain sight picture and quickly swing onto other targets if they are there.
    Seirra make good bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Ya ever heard " it just penciled threw" and asked what the damage was? Invariably in my experience they didnt even look they "just took the back wheels and backsteaks bro" so they shot it in the heart and it ran 30-100y and they blamed the projectile for not expanding.

Once again not saying this is you or anyone else just something I hear time and time again.
    Name:  20200514_100950.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  4.15 MB

There ya go just for you. That's the entry side with a 3.5inch Peasent knife for scale
    winaa likes this.

I run eldms which is basically the same. Brutal damage on game as long as you don't run them super hot on close animals. Slower works best 100%

Shot a couple more animals over the weekend aiming to put the 195 TMK into the shoulder this time.

First animal was a fallow stag at 20yards, shot hit high in the front shoulder. Results were emphatic And he didn’t take a step, needless to say if you want a picture of the offside shoulder it would be best over a PM as it’s just a mush of blood, muscle and bone. In saying that the exit wound was about the cartridge diameter and there was a lot of jacket fragments in the offside shoulder so it must’ve sheared a lot of weight

Name:  FCA894D7-40BB-4889-B3AC-599D1A296227.jpeg
Views: 131
Size:  203.6 KB

Second animal for the hunt was a fallow spiker at 150. This animal was bedded down in what I thought was almost at a broadside angle. At the shot the spiker rolled over and was DRT. Didn’t get any photos of this animal (phone went flat) but the onside shoulder was a mess. Now this is what got me confused either I was mistaken on the angle of how the deer was sitting and was at more of an angle (the most likely). Alternatively the bullet deflected after breaking the shoulder and exited midway out of the guts. Either way it killed the deer.
    Tahr and wsm junkie like this.