Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Trailboss 308 150gr load.

Trailboss 308 150gr load.

Hey all.

Has anyone used trailboss for subsonic 308 or even supersonic lower powered rounds. The net research states between 8.0-10grs of trailboss for a 150gr should go subsonic.

Anyone using TB for there quiet or lower powered 308 rounds?

The land owner where I shoot has asked us to try and quieten down our loads. This is for fun plinking and informal target comps between a few of us. Not expecting to be using it for goats, well maybe now and then if they show up.

Ive got 150gr sierra pro hunters that I am thinking of using.

Any advice from anyone that's been down this road will be appreciated.

Thanks all.
    Lead delivery technician, Bulk orders welcome!!

@Shearer should be able to help
    VIVA LA HOWA

Thanks Toby I remember that thread, but was hoping someone may have tried a 150gr. Will prob start at 10gr and work my way down. I only have 20 cases to play with currently.
    1-12 twist 18 inch barrel. So hoping 150gr at 1000fps will be stable.

Cheers.

Pm your addy and I'll give you 20 cases. Think they are are full sized too and de primed too
    VIVA LA HOWA

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    10 or 10.5 with a 150gr was my 308 sub load from memory

P38
    Little dog

To work up "Your Own" load for your .308 using Trail boss follow this formula as recommended by the manufacturer.

Find the base of your chosen projectile when it's loaded to the correct depth in the cartridge case and mark a line on your case at this depth.

Remove the projectile from the case.

Fill the case to this mark with Trail Boss powder.

Pour this powder into you scales and weight it.

This is your maximum load.

To work out your minimum load multiply your maximum load by 0.7, or 70% of your maximum load.
    This is your minimum load.

Start with the minimum load and using a chronograph work your way up until your projectile has a Muzzle Velocity (MV) of 1050fps (Feet per Second).

You now have a subsonic load for "Your Rifle and Projectile choice".

Be careful when starting at the minimum load that you make sure the projectile has actually left the barrel after each shot.

Jobs done

Cheers
    Pete
    Toby and 308 like this.

At the range on Sunday I put some 150gr projectiles through the chronie. Through my 16" barrel 10 gr of T.B. gave me 1146fps down to 827fps with 7gr.
    Best accuracy in my rifle was 9gr at 1040fps.
    Hope this helps
    Justin

8grains with a 153 is my sub load

Please don't shoot the messenger, but, is anyone doing is in a 7mm-08?

Thanks all for the advice.
    That formula seems simple enough for me to even work out Pete. Toby thanks for the offer but ive just been unable to get to the range for ages, have a few loads waiting to be popped off once i get around to it so I will have more cases then-thanks heaps for the offer.

Cheers.

Sweet as
    VIVA LA HOWA

Subsonic update.

Finally got to the range to test my Trail Boss loads today.

Tested 3 batches from 9, 8.5 and 8 grains of trail boss. Tested the first few shots of each batch to check for key holing and tumbling but none was apparent.

With my DPT Suppressor the 9gr sounded to still have a slight crack but was not very loud. I did not have a crony so was just going by sound to judge when I was subsonic.

With the 8.5 and 8 gr loads there was no crack and such a minor clap it was awesome. I had a mate shooting his suppressed .22 CZ next to me and I got 3 bystanders to state which was quieter the suppressed .22 or my 308. 2 of them said the .22 by a small amount and one couldn't tell the difference. I do agree the .22 sounded a lil quieter still but it was so close it doesn't really matter. Im happy.

Next is to test for accuracy and run thru a crony on the 8 and 8.5s. Will try the 9s again as im certain they should be subsonic.

I was shooting these thru my Spanish FR8 using a DPT 30cal, muzzle forward modular suppressor.

I also made up a full charge of TB (14.2grs) to use as a low recoil/low noise plinking round.

That TB is the bee's knee's!

Cheers
    veitnamcam, Toby and Uplandstalker like this.

sneakywaza I got
    Have you considered Sierra's 170gn flat nose 30/30 projectile? (if you are shooting game that is), delivers on impact, no penciling through, alternately Hornady's 178gn and 200gn Amax are really good at putting down game also, although the 200 won't adequately stabilise in some rifles subsonic.

Im a bit limited to 150gr approx as I have a 1-12 twist barrel. I have heard that 30/30 projectiles work well subsonic so will try some soon. Would be nice to have a 200gr that stabilises in the 1-12 but I think it would be pushing luck a bit maybe? Will test a few out and see how heavy I can go, but im still pleased with the 150s performance so far.

Cheers.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Littledog View Post
    Im a bit limited to 150gr approx as I have a 1-12 twist barrel. I have heard that 30/30 projectiles work well subsonic so will try some soon. Would be nice to have a 200gr that stabilises in the 1-12 but I think it would be pushing luck a bit maybe? Will test a few out and see how heavy I can go, but im still pleased with the 150s performance so far.

Cheers.
    The Sub pills that Veitnamcam has been testing for me stabilise in his 1:11 and are ~200gr
    We tried something in the last lot that moved the balance point and made a big difference