Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Woody

Thread: Tried something different.

Tried something different.

I was watching one of Mark and Sam 4 AW youtube vids and he was explaining his reloading system. I was surprised when he demonstrated how he lubed his brass before sizing. He just gave lots of 5 cases a quick spray with crc or ballistol. Anyway today I was resizing some 308win brass on my old rcbs pad and the usual sticky lyman pad lube. Used that system for decades and never been happy especially with cleaning the lube off after sizing. Sooo, I thought well, I wll give the lube pad a little spray of crc 5-56 and see what happens.
    Honestly sizing and later cleanup has never been as effortless. Very pleasantly surprised indeed, I thought it worth passing on.
    I have also used Lee case lube and it is excellent but a bit slow just wiping it on with finger. I still use it on a cotton bud to lightly lube inside case necks before sizing; the Lee lube is very good. Anyway, thats what I found, for what its worth.
    bumblefoot and dannyb like this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

lee lube is SHIT...and I love LEE gear,got loads of it,but the lube is shitty toothpaste jam causing sticky,dirty shit.
    just about every single tale of woe wit hcase stuck in die or rims ripped off has been caused by that toothpaste like shit...
    IF you use it 100% correctly it works but if you stuff it up even slightly..shit shit SHIT....
    good old vasoline or frog lube or imperial sizing wax,applied with fingertips to body of case and necks dipped in graphite powder with some birdshot for good measure and all issues just vanish....

I'm intrigued, I am currently using hornandy lube with a pad it works great but is a shit to clean off sticky as.
    The idea of CRC sounds very interesting, I imagine it would clean off quite easily too.
    Anyone got any further input on this ?
    #DANNYCENT

For cleaning lube I put up to 20 cases flat in bottom of ice cream container. Then pour in no more than a mm depth of meths and gently move the container back and forth to roll the cases a little. Only takes a moment. Then wipe each case with a clean rag and leave them an hour or so to make sure any meths inside evaporates before I prime and load. Easy.
    On Lee lube, applied correctly to clean brass I have never had a problem. It is water soluble and easily removed with a damp cloth.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.