Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Verniers/ calipers what to buy

Verniers/ calipers what to buy

Hey guys im slowly accumulating all necessary gear to reload myslef rather than at a mates. Theres some cheapo digital verniers for sale on TM, in your opinion would I be wasting my money or should be fine?

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Most of my measuring equipment is Mitutoyo but I have a knock around set of verniers to preserve my good ones. Good quality for the price TESTNTOOLS - Digital Caliper :: ROK Digital Caliper (Vernier) 200mm Large Display and a good outfit to deal with. 24 months warranty.
    deepsouthaussie likes this.

starett gears ok and reasonable price wise
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

In my last job where I spent quite a bit of time in the machine shop we had several sets of the cheapo digital vernier calipers - we did have nice expensive Mitutoyo and Starret ones as well but the cheapo ones were fine for general use ...

I bought a $20USD digital vernier from dealxtreme to go alongside my mitutoyo vernier and micrometers. The micrometers come with 25mm, 50mm 75mm and 100mm gauges the dx vernier is spot on and easy to use. So much so I have not used anything else in 3+ years.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Honestly I have had various cheap brands and mititoyo calipers and they all piss you off in one way or another, one of the most frustrating things is batt life or lack there of and the next is loss of zero with rapid adjustment.

For a cheap pair of didgy verniers i highly recommend Kingchrome, they are my home set and truth be told are better than my work set
    steven and RUMPY like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Cheapos should be fine. Digital are easy to use and getting better priced all the time. In saying that the Starret are good buying as are the Limit branded ones (Teng Tools).
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Cheapos should be fine. Digital are easy to use and getting better priced all the time. In saying that the Starret are good buying as are the Limit branded ones (Teng Tools).
    My limit set are hanging on the wall(deliberatly destroyed) with other tools I payed my hard earned cash for and deamed not fit even to sell to even the person I hate most in the world, most of which have been under the 100 tonne press.
    Shamus likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Ejected
    Don't bother with digital. The battery is always flat and they are actually slower than manual.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    My limit set are hanging on the wall(deliberatly destroyed) with other tools I payed my hard earned cash for and deamed not fit even to sell to even the person I hate most in the world, most of which have been under the 100 tonne press.
    Yeah? I've no Limit verniers but the mic's I have are nice as are the dial gauges. I've mostly Starret and Mitutoyo but have no worries picking up the Limit stuff.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    One of my 4 DTI is an expensiveStarrett digital. It never gets used. It is the most hopeless thing to use compared to a clockwork dial gauge.
    Re an earlier comment, I have never had a Mitutoyo vernier fail the speed test. And that is a test I usually do. I have had a cheap Chink digi mic fail, and a cheap vernier I tried in a hardware shop. And way in the back of my cupboard I have an old Jap vernier - no batteries to worry about when I bought that. Trouble is I now have problems reading the vernier due to piss poor eyesight but it is my go to vernier if I want to mark out steel and I don't get upset using scriber hard up against its jaws. Another very good option is the Starrett vernier with dial indicator - they are very easy to read and no batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Anyway, I didn't know any digital verniers came in 1/4" increments.

have used a few brands, kincrome, insize starret but my personal is a mituyoto but sits in the tool box I mainly use cheapy ones with digital read out so I can switch/convert from metric/imperial. If I need to do any serious tolerance measurement on cases then I use a micrometer

more to the point, buying a vernier but , not knowing how to use it, or knowing why you need one!
    #BallisticFists

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    I was sick of the battery going flat
    Now I take it out everytime store it in the caliper case and reinsert when I use it
    Dumb you may think, but it works, I haven't had to replace a battery in over a year

I need a digital
    My eyesight is to bad now to bloody read the manual set I have.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Verniers/ calipers what to buy

I own Digital but never use them...
    Mitutoyo every day of the week.
    Dan M