Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Vihtavuori N160 in 270win

Vihtavuori N160 in 270win

I got two containers of it today for $76.00 per container normally $99 (there is one left at the shop at that price), would have grabbed all three then I also saw a lyman case care kit for a good price too so had to get my grubby mitts on that while I was at it. Going to be trying this with my hornady 140 grain SPBT's which I am yet to do any development with. Rifle Rem 700 in the mighty 270win so just wondering what charge weights have been most successful for you guys with this powder, will be using my usual winchester cases and CCI 200 LR primers
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

2209 is the biz

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    2209 is the biz
    Maybe so but when you have a chance to score a premium powder that is usually $99 for a pound for cheap then why the hell not

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Didnt you already have a good load for the poo70?
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Didnt you already have a good load for the awesome 270
    with the low BC 140gr hollow points yes, with the higher BC hornady 140 grain bullets no

And I fixed your post

I have checked my hornady manual and only have data for N165 in there for the 270 and the speer manual has no listing under thier 140 grain bullets so still googling online for some more data.

Download the VV Edition 14 guide. All u need to know is there. I scored a lb of N560 recently for 60 bucks (also down from 99) - that is a very good powder for the 270 according to VV.
    If you cannot locate it I can send you a copy.
    Last edited by zimmer; 23-05-2015 at 06:53 PM.

Had a look and it totally bypasses the 140 grain as well so I might have to use the data that VV have listed for the 150 grain bullet and work off that

The Vihtavuori data says max 56.5 for a 135 grain SMK and a max of 52.3 for the 150 grain bullet was sort of thinking around 53-55 grains for a max charge with a starting point of 50 grains.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    The Vihtavuori data says max 56.5 for a 135 grain SMK and a max of 52.3 for the 150 grain bullet was sort of thinking around 53-55 grains for a max charge with a starting point of 50 grains.
    Maybe sell that powder and get one more suited to the 270 mate?
    Toby and Gibo like this.

I used N160 in the .25-06 and .25/08 and my mate used it in his .270 and .243 years a go, when we were paying $98 for 2Kg.
    It gives high Vol and low ES and works out in most rifles use 1 grain more of N160 than you would of 2209
    hunter308 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Maybe sell that powder and get one more suited to the 270 mate?
    No one will be willing to pay me the $157 I paid for the two bottles so I may as well try and use it even if I have to use it on the 130 grain bullets otherwise I will just leave it on the shelf until I get another caliber that I can use it on, sierra has some data for it with a max charge of 50 grains with data being based on a 26 inch barrel. Just feeling really disappointed at the moment as I have always wanted to try the vihtavuori powder seeing everyone goes on how good it is and that was my chance when I found some at a price I could actually afford now it turns out to be the wrong friggin powder that I got, oh well shit happens.

listed on the buy and sell nothing to see here anymore folks

AB Precision
    Why not try it? Will go alright better the 2209 but not as good at n560

Quote Originally Posted by tui_man2 View Post
    Why not try it? Will go alright better the 2209 but not as good at n560
    @tui_man2 2209 was shit in my 270 2213sc did way better in my remington which has a 24 inch barrel.