Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By kiwijames
  • 1 Post By veitnamcam

Thread: wet clean brass with primer in

wet clean brass with primer in

HI Guys

So getting ready to pop round to mates on the weekend and start getting cases prepped for loading.

I dont have a tumbler and was wondering if it is necessary to clean brass before resizing and removing primer.

If it is necessary to clean can I wet clean them, was thinking of using a solution of citric acid, rinse then dry.

Any problems here?

Cheers

Dino
    "If God wanted us to be vegetarian....why did he make meat taste so good?"

How dirty are they?
    I just clean inside the neck with a bronze bore brush in a drill.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Cleaning is unnecessary. They will go bang all the same shiny or not. Would suggest against acid cleaning though unless it was very weak and even then why bother?
    Saying that, I have a tumbler and like my brass pretty.
    Savage1 likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Hi Guys

This is once fired brass, being lying around for a while. So all dull.

Not too worried about having shiny brass, apparently it is easier to spot to pick up though...lol

I had read/seen/heard brass should be cleaned before putting through dies, to prevent damage????

Had a play with some federal once fired brass I was not planning to use, solution was 1/2 teaspoon in 500ml very hot water, stirred on and off for 10mins, came out mint, rinsed well and drying now, seems to have cleaned inside neck quite well.

I have heard not to use ammonia based products e.g. brasso as it can make brass brittle, will acid do the same?

Cheers

Dino

I have found it easier to see flaws in brass when clean so it does have advantages to work with clean brass. If it is just dull then no need as you will lube the case anyway. If they are dirty dirty then you might have issues. A wipe with a cloth should see you right.
    Bung it in a courier bag if you want and I can clean it up for you if you're really keen.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Kiwijames

thanks for the offer, doesn't really sound like I have to do it, if i WANT to will get a tumbler or play with the citric acid thing some more.

My background is hotels so I know how to make primo frozen Margaritas, not too mechanically minded hence asking questions

Looking forward to the reloading, be nice to smack an deer over with a roll your own!!

Cheers

Dino

Citric acid solution cleans stubborn dirt preferably in hot water mix but a creme of tartar solution next will add shine. Get a bucket fill it with hot water about 2 litres and add about a teaspoon of citric acid powder.Add brass with primer out. Keep swirling around from time to time. You will see it doing the bizo. Then dump . Rinse with bicarbonate soda. Then do a c of t solution. Rinse and dry.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    Citric acid solution cleans stubborn dirt preferably in hot water mix but a creme of tartar solution next will add shine. Get a bucket fill it with hot water about 2 litres and add about a teaspoon of citric acid powder.Add brass with primer out. Keep swirling around from time to time. You will see it doing the bizo. Then dump . Rinse with bicarbonate soda. Then do a c of t solution. Rinse and dry.
    Figured you'd want to do some type of neutralising after an acid run.

Update

So after a bit of "research" courtesy of Uncle Google seems that this is a pretty common method of cleaning brass

No need to deactivate the acid wash, rinsing is recommended however. The level of acidity is catually fairly low compared to battery acid for example.

I have read some posts that using the acetic acid can actually assist in keeping the brass looking good as it actually "Passifies" the brass. I think this means very small layer of the brass is actually resistant to oxidation.

Anyway I will give it a crack and report any problems.

Cheers

Dino

how come your not deprimming them first broski? . shiny brass is just cosmetic but looks who doesnt like shiny brass? haha. tumbler will clean the outside of the brass . those sonic cleaners clean inside and out.

Im pretty green when it comes to relaoding, like have not relaoded a case yet!

I have a 2 die set from RCBS, I thought first die popped primer and resized at same time, I appreciate you can get just a decapping die, but I forked out a shitload already getting ready to releoad so figured I would ask the question.

My understanding is now its no problem to put brass into dies that have not been polished, just make sure they are clean, ie no dirt etc

Just noob questions!

Cheers

D

Don't forget the lube!
    Imperial sizing wax is good.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    kiwijames likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

The decapping dies are pretty cheap and leave the primer pocket clean after the wash. Makes the reloading so much faster.

Lee Decapping Die | Trade Me
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!