Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By johnino
  • 1 Post By Nick-D
  • 1 Post By Yukon

Thread: What gear is popular for reloading?

What gear is popular for reloading?

I've been using a Lee Load-all since the early 80's, (stop laughing ), and am slowly talking myself into getting something better. But what?

I'm loading .308win, but am planning to also load subsonic .44mag, and maybe .223 with heavier projectiles.

I was astute enough to invest in a decent (by 1983 standards) scales.

I don't want to pay loads, and I need to be able to get different new/used dies easily.

Is it common to neck-size fireformed shells (as per Lee Load-all) or full length resize?

What tools are available for prepping fired shells?

Whats wrong with the set you have. If it works and shoots good groups and have no issues, why change.
    As the saying goes, if it aint broke, don't fix it.

I have RCBS press and scales, but have Herters dies for 308. They are ugly dies but work very well.

A lot depends on what you want.

My thoughts anyway

ebf
    lee load-all is a shotgun reloading system

I think you mean Lee Loader, the hammer kit ?
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

P38
    Yukon

Sounds like you have a Lee Loader.

These are very good kits for beginners and for small reloading runs.

You can buy them new still for around $65 a set in many different calibres.

I have begun collecting the older ones as there is always someone selling them for bugger all.

If your looking to upgrade to a press for bugger all then have a look a Lee Challenger Press like this.

Presses

I've had one for over 30 years now and it's still going strong.

Again if your ok with second hand gear then you should be able to find one of these, maybe with dies or other gear too, for bugger all

The Lee dies are also good value for money.

Cheers
    Pete

I would go with Lee dies, I even use them for long range 308w and 303british target shooting and they are cheap. Depending on what you have already it maybe better value just to buy a good Press and a few bits and not a kit, depends on what you have already?

regards
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    I've been using a Lee Load-all since the early 80's, (stop laughing ), and am slowly talking myself into getting something better. But what?

I'm loading .308win, but am planning to also load subsonic .44mag, and maybe .223 with heavier projectiles.

I was astute enough to invest in a decent (by 1983 standards) scales.

I don't want to pay loads, and I need to be able to get different new/used dies easily.

Is it common to neck-size fireformed shells (as per Lee Load-all) or full length resize?

What tools are available for prepping fired shells?
    There was an awesome price on a forster bonanza press on here the other day.
    Almost bought it myself.
    It was a very cheap price on high end gear.
    Don't need a priming tool and therefore priming cases is exact and consistent.
    Don't need shell holders and dies can float or be fixed.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

My understanding is once brass is fireformed in your own gun then you need only neck size after that. I have a medicine bottle filled with shot and graphite powder I shake up then dip the neck in. Much quicker and cleaner than lube.
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by johnino View Post
    My understanding is once brass is fireformed in your own gun then you need only neck size after that. I have a medicine bottle filled with shot and graphite powder I shake up then dip the neck in. Much quicker and cleaner than lube.
    Dont need to lube at all for the Lee Neck sizer
    Toby likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Dont need to lube at all for the Lee Neck sizer
    If you are going from used/fired to neck size yes though I put a dab on the mandrel anyway.

If you are necksizing a previously fully formed case I find that a little on the Lee's internal mandrel helps as Ive had a few cases destroy themselves. The reason I do this double sizing sometimes is the final neck sized dimension of the Lee Neck die is greater (1~2 thousands under) than the full sized dimension of the neck with a full die (more like 3~4thou under) and I want the same release tension on a batch if I dont have enough fired brass to make up the number I need.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    If you are going from used/fired to neck size yes though I put a dab on the mandrel anyway.

If you are necksizing a previously fully formed case I find that a little on the Lee's internal mandrel helps as Ive had a few cases destroy themselves. The reason I do this double sizing sometimes is the final neck sized dimension of the Lee Neck die is greater (1~2 thousands under) than the full sized dimension of the neck with a full die (more like 3~4thou under) and I want the same release tension on a batch if I dont have enough fired brass to make up the number I need.
    Yeahp, if sizing up then absolutely. A dab on the mandrel is a great idea. Have had a new case snag and wreck itself

Thanks for the advice fellas. I need to get my head around this, and get sorted. My reloading kit is a Lee Loader, as in tapping in the primers with a mallet. It's a bit slow, though quite safe as long as the user has good hearing. I would like a system that delivers pre-measured powder loads.

I used to marvel at the .75moa loads I used to get with my .222 Sako Vixen HB varminter and my Lee Loader handloads. My wife's .223 Tikka T3 and off-the-shelf American Eagles consistently produces groups like this. Unbelievable.
    PERRISCICABA likes this.