Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 7 Post By Spook
  • 1 Post By Uplandstalker
  • 1 Post By Bavarian_Hunter

Thread: What is a great .270 and 30 cal long range projectile?

What is a great .270 and 30 cal long range projectile?

I've been Barnes TTSX for a while now and love em but for pushing into ranges out to say 1000 m what would be a better hunting bullet that will still give me good expansion? The first one that comes to mind are the Berger Hunting projectiles.
    Any thoughts?

BH

If I ever tried to push my .270 out to 1000 I would get sun-strike from trying to get elevation.
    R93, Munsey, Toby and 4 others like this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Best option would be to stalk in the first 800m and then shoot from there.

.277 150Gr Berger Hunting VLD has a G7 of .272 and I'm pushing them at a little over 3120fps. Even the 150gr SST, and I've had good success with the 140gr SST at 3220fps too.

Around 20MOA adjustment for my setup.

As for 30cal, you have a heap of other options, but i've had limited experience with them.

168-178 and if you can stabilize them 208 amaxes.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Sorry post was originally about just 30 cal and I tacked in the .270 bit afterwards, not talking about pushing that out quite so far. The .270 though I'd like to do to 600m if I could, to date haven't shot with her passed about 350 m.

Why sneak into 200 m for a point and click! if you want to get close go with a bow or a muzzleloader and keep the challenge up. Ethics yes yes but I love the challenge and making things as fair as possible without resorting to bare hands and boomerangs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarian_Hunter View Post
    Sorry post was originally about just 30 cal and I tacked in the .270 bit afterwards, not talking about pushing that out quite so far. The .270 though I'd like to do to 600m if I could, to date haven't shot with her passed about 350 m.

Why sneak into 200 m for a point and click! if you want to get close go with a bow or a muzzleloader and keep the challenge up. Ethics yes yes but I love the challenge and making things as fair as possible without resorting to bare hands and boomerangs.
    I reckon a Muzzle loader would a good rifle to have.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly beleive hunting can be done from a distance too.
    steven likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Uplandstalker View Post
    I reckon a Muzzle loader would a good rifle to have.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly beleive hunting can be done from a distance too.
    I agree! Mines on it's way over from the states albeit slowly. 16 weeks I was told. About 4 weeks into the wait now. I figure bush hunting only gives you one shot anyway most of the time so it may as well be a 50 cal 300gn pill coming out at 1800fps to put some hurt on!
    Uplandstalker likes this.

What are you getting?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A Thompson/Center Bone Collector 50 cal CamoAP stock and weather shield barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Uplandstalker View Post
    Best option would be to stalk in the first 800m and then shoot from there.

.277 150Gr Berger Hunting VLD has a G7 of .272 and I'm pushing them at a little over 3120fps. Even the 150gr SST, and I've had good success with the 140gr SST at 3220fps too.

Around 20MOA adjustment for my setup.

As for 30cal, you have a heap of other options, but i've had limited experience with them.
    what kind of powder and weights are you using to get your 270 at that speed? im doing a few loads but im only getting 3050 at the moment. cheers

Is your 3050 load accurate? If so, why change, bah bah bah.

Did use 2217 for a while, but then changed to Retumbo(pretty much 2225 from ADI). The max published data for this is 71gr with a 150gr bullet. I start to see some very minor pressure signs at 71.5. I know some guys with 270WSM that can get over 72.5gr without pressure signs and seating the bullet out more if the rifle allows. My rifle has a shorter throat than theirs.

There are report in getting 74gr into a case in the US, and get over 3400fps with this powder.

Start low and work up to suit you rifle.

Good luck and don't blow yourself up!

its resonably accurate, about an inch at 100 with 150 nosler bts going 3050 but i want more! haha. i dont know if i could get over 70 grains in my cases i can only get about 69.5 gr of 2225 into my case and theyre pretty compressed, i was just curious if you had some other recipie. i guess my only problem is i have a tikka and those mags seem to be short so seating the bullet any further out would mean id have to load em 1 at a time. cheers

Quote Originally Posted by silentscope View Post
    its resonably accurate, about an inch at 100 with 150 nosler bts going 3050 but i want more! haha. i dont know if i could get over 70 grains in my cases i can only get about 69.5 gr of 2225 into my case and theyre pretty compressed, i was just curious if you had some other recipie. i guess my only problem is i have a tikka and those mags seem to be short so seating the bullet any further out would mean id have to load em 1 at a time. cheers
    Pretty sure some Tikka users are getting 72gr of Retumbo into a case and still fitting them in the mag, even with every long 150gr bullets. The mag is the limitation though, still quite a way of the rifling.