Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By R93
  • 1 Post By cambo

Thread: What Step is Annealing?

What Step is Annealing?

Just setting up to get into doing some annealing. Lots of 223 to test with, but mainly want to do it with my formed 20tac brass.
    When do you guys do it in the process of case prep?

Deprime, clean and anneal before sizing and trimming OR do all case work including sizing and trimming and then anneal last?
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    Just setting up to get into doing some annealing. Lots of 223 to test with, but mainly want to do it with my formed 20tac brass.
    When do you guys do it in the process of case prep?

Deprime, clean and anneal before sizing and trimming OR do all case work including sizing and trimming and then anneal last?
    Before sizing.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    7mmsaum, cambo, Gibo and 2 others like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Yep before sizeing

I dunno if it really makes that much difference, I make a fair few wild cat cartridges, I usually do it after fire forming, haven't had any troubles so far, whether good luck or good management, I am not sure. I then anneal after 7 reloads.

What step is annealing....... sometimes its a step too far.
    If you hope to get 10 plus reloads from each case go ahead and learn the technique ,,,, buy the expensive annealer, butane torch, whatever.

But if you are going to lose / throw away the brass after a few firings, dont bother.
    If you load super hot loads that have a minimal case life anyways...dont bother.
    If you are just doing .223 or some other cheap, easy to come by brass and its your only shooter ....dont bother.
    Its all about economies of scale really.

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    What step is annealing....... sometimes its a step too far.
    If you hope to get 10 plus reloads from each case go ahead and learn the technique ,,,, buy the expensive annealer, butane torch, whatever.

But if you are going to lose / throw away the brass after a few firings, dont bother.
    If you load super hot loads that have a minimal case life anyways...dont bother.
    If you are just doing .223 or some other cheap, easy to come by brass and its your only shooter ....dont bother.
    Its all about economies of scale really.
    Yeah not worried about the bulk 223 stuff. More just playing around with them to get it right for my 20tac.
    The brass is no longer available and the stuff I have I want to look after, plus all the fireformed cases I am doing I want to keep for a while too.

This is the annealing system I'm using....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwdTaDLz56Q
    gadgetman likes this.

It depends on which case is being formed. An example: making 17 Ackley Hornet from 22 Hornet. It is best to form the 17 Ackley Hornet case from 22 Hornet case and then anneal. If the 22 Hornet case is annealed first, the case collapses when it is being formed into 17 Ackley Hornet. After forming, the case can be annealed, and then fire-formed to the ultimate shape. If the case is not annealed after forming, the neck may crack.
    Other cartridges may be better formed after annealing, e.g., 222R rimmed from 357R Maxi. If the case neck is not annealed first, the case collapses when trying to form it into 222R rimmed. If the change is drastic, the case may need to be annealed more than once in the process.

Will be fireforming these particular cases before annealing. 223 to 20tac.

Was wanting to know the step in the reloading process for the 223 as a base.
    All a good learning process. Its great to get everyone's advise and being able to gather info from a great bunch of knowledgeable chaps