Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

What Think of Three Top-End Single Priming Tools?

I'm referring to the Sinclair, K&M (with and/or without indicator), and the 21st Century SS.

What is your aim because an offset bed is not going to make it any better. Use the Sinclair primer pocket uniforming tool first. Great piece of kit.

Quote Originally Posted by alcesgigas View Post
    I'm referring to the Sinclair, K&M (with and/or without indicator), and the 21st Century SS.
    At one stage I lusted after the K & M one with the indicator, and to a lesser extent the Sinclair. In the end I couldn't see the point of the expence of either. I already use an RCBS (with the universal jaw) which gives me speed, no handling of primers and above all else feel. The Sinclair and K & M don't have speed but will have feel with the minus of having to handle the primers. I also have an old Lyman 310 Handtool which I can use which is a single primer at a time type which gives good feel. So yeh, great tools but my RCBS does as good a job. I don't need a dial indicator for depth indication, I can do that by sensing pressure on the handle to seat the primer and I then always run my fore-finger over the seated primer and I can tell if it is properly seated. Interestingly each of the cartridges I load has a slightly different feel when seating the primers despite the brass mostly being the same brand. I have never used a press for priming.

R93
    I have a forster Bonanza press and prime using that. I never considered the down side of having to handle the primers. In saying that I havent had any problems with misfires. It is slow but consistent regarding seating. Sucks a bit of time and is fiddly when you have to change from small rifle to large rifle. I would be interested in a good hand one for small rifle priming to save the hassle of changing my press. The RCBS one is pretty good then?
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I also have only ever used my press to prime. (shamed)
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I would be interested in a good hand one for small rifle priming to save the hassle of changing my press. The RCBS one is pretty good then?
    Dave - I have one of these RCBS UNIVERSAL HAND PRIMING TOOL | Sinclair Intl Except for having to change the innards over for small to large primers the jaws automatically adjust for a range of case sizes. I have an old RCBS as well. When I purchased the latest RCSB I also got the latest Lee. I tried the Lee once and promptly gave it away. Primer contamination from handling is massively overstated I think. My main issue is the fiddly nature (do I have clumsy fingers?) of handling single primers but as I said in my post I also on occasion use a single shot tool which requires me to dish out primers one at a time. Priming a lot of cases is sometimes for me a sit in front of the TV later in the evening activity and the RCBS (mmm and the Lee) are well suited to this.

R93
    Cheers mate. I buy tons of shit off sinclairs, so I will chuck an RCBS one in with my next order of goodies.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I have never had an issue handling primers. I did read a comment once that unless you were frying fish or changing the oil in your car at the same time handling primers wasn't an issue. I have a Sinclair and several lee primers. in hindsight I wouldn't have bothered with the expensive Sinclair. The old lee does it for me.

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken View Post
    I have never had an issue handling primers. I did read a comment once that unless you were frying fish or changing the oil in your car at the same time handling primers wasn't an issue. I have a Sinclair and several lee primers. in hindsight I wouldn't have bothered with the expensive Sinclair. The old lee does it for me.
    Me too.

I've had one of these Priming Tool Round for a year or so now can't fault it, it has an adjuster to allow the primer seating depth to be varied. I just set it and forgot it. It seems well made and has good "feel" and requires less effort than my old round tray LEE which had a Yawn (sneeze on here?) CNC alloy handle on it