Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: what weights?

what weights?

so my new tikka t3 308 loves 150gr sst hornady superperformance, but i refuse to pay $73 a box of 20! so the brass length is 51mm oal is 69.7 weight 24grams. got a decent amount of winchester brass so going to uses this, trimmed it down to 51mm and got it cleanish, got the same projectiles, now the question what powder? got a stock of 2206h which i would like to use but unsure as to what weights to start trying and what intervals to use.

realise that it is different for every rifle but what intervals do you guys use? according to ADI handbook 41gn lowest and 43.5 the highest last time i was reloading 2206h in a 308 case, i could only get 42.5 as a full case. so 0.5 grain intervals? 0.2 would make a lot of choices but at 0.5 could i miss the sweet spot?

I like to use .5 for the 08 family of cases and .25 for .223.
    2206H will work fine in a 308. I got my best accuracy with 165 SST using 2208 in my old t3.

As always, start low work up, in the long run you are best to take your time testing as it will save much frustration later on.

Id go up in half grain steps, load 1 of each from starting to maybe a full grain over max.
    Shoot all bullets in order at the same target marking each shot and examining each case for signs of excessive pressure,STOP firing if any show signs of excessive pressure.
    With any luck your target will show a cluster of charges that shot close together, say 43 43.5 and 44 for example.
    Now load up a few of each and shoot for groups.
    Hopefully you are now happy but if not try .2 either side of the best.

Dont get stuck on the factory overall length, most bolt actions magazines will handle ammo loaded out to 74-76mm and function fine thereby increasing powder room, you do need to know how to find your just touch length tho.

I think you will struggle to replicate the superformance load especially with 2206h for velocity but you should find another velocity that shoots well.

2208 and 748 are great powders for 150gr projectiles also.
    Gibo likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

cheers guys, just double checked, 43 grains is full to the brim and no room for projectile... not sure how ADI handbook reckons i could go up to 43.5! VC will be loading to mag length as its a tikka and they always seem to be a bit short, cant be bothered single feeding

That doesnt sound right,I can get 52gr of 2208 in.

Whinny brass must be thick!
    Kiwi Greg, Gibo and PERRISCICABA like this.

Use a drop tube (trickle the powder into the case down a bit of tube or a long neck funnel). It will settle into the case better.
    A bit of crunch and compression when you seat the projectile doesn't matter. ADI 2206 and 2208 powders compress down quite well.
    veitnamcam and Gibo like this.

havent cleaned them out as i dont have a tumbler and not worried if they arent shiny, doubt that there is that much unburnt powder in there

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Use a drop tube (trickle the powder into the case down a bit of tube or a long neck funnel). It will settle into the case better.
    I bit of crunch and compression when you seat the projectile doesn't matter. ADI 2206 and 2208 powders compress down quite well.
    use a funnel to pour with, and a gentle tap on the table settles it pretty well. got a powder trickler lined up as sick of using the yellow lee scoop things

As Thar said try a drop tube, even 100mm long will make a difference and pour it in slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    As Thar said try a drop tube, even 100mm long will make a difference and pour it in slowly.
    hmmm might have to sort myself out one of those

bit of plastic hose is all I use.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    cheers guys, just double checked, 43 grains is full to the brim and no room for projectile... not sure how ADI handbook reckons i could go up to 43.5! VC will be loading to mag length as its a tikka and they always seem to be a bit short, cant be bothered single feeding
    Check your Scales, weigh a projectile to check the weight

I just found a sized 308 win Winchester case & put 53 grains of 2206H to the top of the case, 46 to the btm of the neck ???

Hey mate something is not right here.

Double check your powder is actually 2206h.
    Double check your scales accuraccy/calibration.

Here is data from ADI in Winchester brass.

you can see they list 45.5 as max for 150g and an uncompressed load and 49gr for 130s compressed.

Name:  Screenshot (14).png
Views: 307
Size:  136.0 KB

308 brass will generally hold around 50gr of powder to the brim depending.

Something is not right if you are full at 43 gr!

ok, will be throwing that case out, got 53 in the other 4 cases i just primed and filled to the brim!
    Gibo and WallyR like this.

Yip my lapua brass is about 51 grains of 2206h to brim. I find if you swirl the powder in like trickle it on a spiral into the funnel it settles a lot lower than a sraight dump in the funnel